good deal on spaceliner?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I apologize if I'm in the wrong group of threads here but I have a question on the value of a bike. I know a guy that is willing to sell me his fully chrome Spaceliner for $125. I'm still new to the whole vintage bike thing and haven't really looked for spaceliners - only Schwinns until this point. The chrome frame is in decent shape given the bikes age, it is pitted somewhat but overall it still shines. Tires and seat look new, but the rest appears original. Is this a good deal? Should I try to talk it down a bit? I wasn't really looking for one of these but that struck me as a pretty good deal given the fact that you barely ever see these in real life!

Thanks!

It's hard to comment on anything without pictures, but, if it has a complete tank and springer fork, then that should make a wonderful deal. Without one or both of those, then it comes down to condition and your own judgement. If it's missing the good stuff and you still like it, talk him down to 100$.. because you can't go wrong with most old bikes for 100$.

Thanks Jpromo. I don't have pics but I think I'm going to have to buy it so I might have some shortly! It has the springer fork, but no tank and no rack on the rear fender. Not sure if they all had those originally. I'll have to start doing some spaceliner homework! Like you said, I'm going to try to talk him down but either way it feels like a good deal.

The tanks alone can run about $75-$100 , and higher if you need to get the battery tray and bulb reflector. Then expect more parts costs...the dual ( light and horn) switch dash is the desired setup.
Rack is another $50-100 and possibly more if it has the rear light.

The rust pitting ( depending on the severity) is usually cleanable but, requires hours of labor to scrape the clear coat off the frame. The clearcoat once removed should take the rust stains with it.

Keep in mind not all "chromed framed Spaceliner style framed bikes" are Sears Spaceliners. Murray built many takeoffs of the desired Spaceliner "forward thrusted" style bikes and depending on the then retail store would determine the actual badge model.
All are resides me and if you'll find more complete bikes on the market. They have become a common bike on the listings and if complete they can bring some mad money.
Like Western Flyer's Stars to Flyer, Cosmic Flyer, murrays Astro flite or Strato Flite......and more are just to name a few of different models that are very popular.
Pictures would help decipher the brand you are looking for.
Value....no tank or rear rack then, offer no more than $75 to $100....just my opinion of course.
Good luck on the pic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wow, more good information - Thanks! I didn't realize there were all those variants to the frame design! This is why getting into these old bikes is so addicting... first you just want one, then you want one original and one custom, one chrome and one painted, it's never ending! I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet, so I'll offer $90 I think and see where it gets me!

Latest posts

Back