GOOD NIGHT NURSE! -- FORT WORTH BIKE SALE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GOOD NIGHT NURSE! -- SALE OF ALL SALES

Never thought in my wildest dreams that my first barn find would be like this. :p
HPIM4991.jpg

I gotta stop reading these posts. I'm getting sick to my stomache hearing things like Coppertone fastbacks for $100 getting PASSED on. :shock:

Man, I would have stolen money from our savings account and bought as much as I could. Would have made a fortune in a few months selling everything off. I just don't have the luck to find deals like that. :cry:

Danimal said:
I gotta stop reading these posts. I'm getting sick to my stomache hearing things like Coppertone fastbacks for $100 getting PASSED on. :shock:

Man, I would have stolen money from our savings account and bought as much as I could. Would have made a fortune in a few months selling everything off. I just don't have the luck to find deals like that. :cry:

+1! I know what your saying Danimal... pretty much every "cool" bike I have has been either won complete or parts off ebay the rest from RRB members . I havent found nothing except a fairlady on craigslist. thats awesome you guys had the chance to buy all those sweet bikes! I woulda killed for a few of those stingrays and a manta ray! it also sucks knowing most of those bikes will probably all be blown apart and sold on ebay :cry: im usually in the keep em whole boat

ty

Thanks creebobby,

That Iver Johnson is Sweet badge and all!

I'm so jealous of you guys who where close enough to this to buy bikes.

But I'm glad that all the bikes and parts are back out of hiding and in the community :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And did not go to scrap.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's builds form all of this stuff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyone know what is remaining? What are their plans for the scraps? I hope not SCRAP!
-John

maybe there will be a round 2.

GOOD NIGHT NURSE! -- SALE OF ALL SALES

They auctioned whatever was left in one big lot so there isn't anything left.

Speaking of scrap, Kevin said they scrapped thirteen and a half tons of junk bikes over the summer to have enough room in that yard to have the sale.

There is also a negative to attending this show.

Now all bikes on the CL and Ebay seem WAAAAAAAY overpriced.

All vintage bikes should cost no more than $100. :lol:

what does Mike Wolf say? we just bought 'em with meat left on the bone???

Here's a pic of the Iver and prewar cruiser at my house - can anyone id the cruiser for me?
The cruiser I bought during the 'half-price' second half of the sale, so it was $10.

iverandcruiser.JPG

The mystery motobike is undergoing PB Blaster treatment. Also, if anyone can id it, let me know!

mysterymoto.JPG

It's funny seeing what everyone picked up and recognizing most of it.

What time did they start the half price deal...I guess I left before they started that. :(

Danimal said:

Ha Ha...well, I guess if you had no self control, a pocket full of money, no bills to pay, and an unlimited amount of indoor storage this would have been the sale of the century.

My problem is that I have about $3000 in medical bills to pay over the next month and that kept popping into my head every time I thought about buying another $100 bike. Sure, I might make a little off of the stuff if I parted it all out, but who the heck has the time and energy to do that and make 100 trips to the post office and FedEx? I guess if you were unemployed and wanted to give it a go it would have been worth it.

I love old bikes, but as we can we see from this guy's collection...you can't take em with ya. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
I love old bikes, but as we can we see from this guy's collection...you can't take em with ya. :wink:

Wise words Steve, thank you.

Based on the sprocket, I think its a Huffman/Huffy.

creebobby said:
Here's a pic of the Iver and prewar cruiser at my house - can anyone id the cruiser for me?

iverandcruiser.JPG

Steve,

Believe me, I understand all about bills and trying to stay on a budget. Running a household is always gonna take priority over our silly little hobby. And I'm truely surry that you have a stack of medical bills...that is something out country really needs to address (watching the jerks in Washington bicker over this drives me nuts).

I still wish I had the chance to be at the big sale. Yes, I was kidding about taking my savings to buy bikes, but I would have scraped as much as I possibly could have and marked much of the stuff for resale. Making an overall profit and having a couple keeper for yourself is always a good thing in my mind. :wink:

Hey Dan,

I can totally understand wanting them all. I think it's been harder for me a day or two later knowing what I could have bought, but didn't. I showed up about 15 minutes late so I missed all of the really good stuff, but there were still bikes there that I know I could have made money on or enjoyed owning.

The two that really keep haunting me were the coppertone Fastback and a late 70s blue Schwinn Cruiser single speed. They wanted $100 for the Fastback and $60 for the Cruiser.

I kept grabbing bikes and then realizing that the wheels were toast or something look bent. Then I'd have to say...hmmm, would I pay $60 for that frame...no. Then there were some vintage BMX bikes laying around and I'd grab them and see that they had cheap chrome wheels or missing components and think...hmmm...what could I get for this frame...$100...should I pay $40 for it and then have to go to all the trouble to ship it to make $40-$50.....nahhh.

I had $400 in cash on me that day and only spent $120 so I definitely could have really blown the bank if I wanted to. I even had taken all of the seats out of our mini-van so I couldn't even say I didn't have enough room.

It was sort of a strange situation...you were surrounded by tons of bikes, you could only take two out at a time, and you really had to focus and concentrate to even know what the heck you were looking at half the time. Mix in a bunch of people all milling around grabbing bikes and it was enough to make your brain lock up...ha ha. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Hey Dan,

I can totally understand wanting them all. I think it's been harder for me a day or two later knowing what I could have bought, but didn't. I showed up about 15 minutes late so I missed all of the really good stuff, but there were still bikes there that I know I could have made money on or enjoyed owning.

The two that really keep haunting me were the coppertone Fastback and a late 70s blue Schwinn Cruiser single speed. They wanted $100 for the Fastback and $60 for the Cruiser.

I kept grabbing bikes and then realizing that the wheels were toast or something look bent. Then I'd have to say...hmmm, would I pay $60 for that frame...no. Then there were some vintage BMX bikes laying around and I'd grab them and see that they had cheap chrome wheels or missing components and think...hmmm...what could I get for this frame...$100...should I pay $40 for it and then have to go to all the trouble to ship it to make $40-$50.....nahhh.

I had $400 in cash on me that day and only spent $120 so I definitely could have really blown the bank if I wanted to. I even had taken all of the seats out of our mini-van so I couldn't even say I didn't have enough room.

It was sort of a strange situation...you were surrounded by tons of bikes, you could only take two out at a time, and you really had to focus and concentrate to even know what the heck you were looking at half the time. Mix in a bunch of people all milling around grabbing bikes and it was enough to make your brain lock up...ha ha. :lol:

I can totally see myself in your position there. Some people are spenders and some are shoppers. I am a shopper, I look at craigslist when I have no money, I love to browse stores with empty pockets and imagine buying items, but then when I have money on me, it is precious and I spend it sparingly. I keep an Amazon Wish List for myself and that's just what it is, a wish list. I don't put extravagant things on it, but realistic items, and use it as a bookmark to see things I might wanna keep my eyes open for. We got some insurance money from the hurricane damage (my personal property damage money) and it's a larger sum of money than I'm use to having, but it is for replacing items that got destroyed. Well, I decided to spend some on myself, so I went to my Amazon wish list and I went wild, had a field day, threw caution to the wind and in the end I didn't spend over $150, haha. I can't wait to get my packages. :D

(then I went and made a stupid +$5 bid on a bike on eBay just to see how into the other bidders were and all of a sudden I've been top bidder for 3 days... crap!)

Latest posts

Back