Goodyear Grasshopper Slick - Tire size size help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of these great NOS slicks, but although they say20 x 1.75 - they do not fit a standard 20 x 1.75 wheel. Could these be the slicks destined for the Schwinn Manta ray? Or is there adjustments or a method to these tires?

They are fractional and not decimal. Therefore whole different animal. Others will be able to give you more precise info but being 1 3/4 Schwinn seems very likely. Always remember fraction sizes are different sizing standard than later decimal size system. There is more than one size standard for fractions. Darn Schwinn has some that were all their own.

Ah. So this slick won't correctly fit the new standard steel coaster brake wheels (20 x 1.75) I'm looking into ordering for my AMF build. These may need to go up on the sale or trade forum. Hmm.

Those 20 x 1 3/4 you have might be worth some $ being NOS and Schwinn sized. I'm not versed at all on values of vintage tires but most vintage original NOS tires seem desirable.

Those tires will only fit 20" Schwinn S-7 middleweight rims. Tires like that would have come on the girls StingRay. Get a 20" Schwinn coaster brake equipped S-7 wheel, mount the tire and slap it on your bike. I'd keep the tires and get a wheel before I'd sell the tires. Hard to find those. Gary

I sent a message to the shop I buy new parts for to see if he can get me an S-7 wheel. Or two. Since I have two of these tires I might as well use them if possible. :113:

Sad thing is, I had a couple of Manta Ray wheels, but when I sold my lot of wheels, I didn't realize they were in the pile until I went looking for them and a 13" chopper front wheel. :(

Sorry. I should have clarified. I'm going off the Mantaray style S-7 wheel size since it's specific to Schwinn and the 20 x 1 3/4 tire size. I've been told (and research also states) that Mantaray's were still made after 1972, but with the 20" S-7 wheel and forks but was renamed. Although the frame, chainguard, etc. stayed the same. Although I don't know which models they were or if this is entirely true.

Latest posts

Back