Grape Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only five of us braved the cold and rode in the St. Paddys parade yesterday. When we got back to the shop i get this phone call and the guy says that hes moving and has no room to take his bike with him and wants to know if i want to buy it. I ask him what it is and he says it an old schwinn,I then ask him what he wants for it and he says make an offer. I tell him i dont make offers over the phone and without seeing what condiction the bike is in. Then he says that its a grape krate and that he may have rode it a dozen times. I tell him that without seeing it that i wouldn't offer over $50 for it and he says when can he bring it to me. I tell him i'm open until four and he says he'll be there before that, about an hour later he brings this in and we work out the deal. Heres my $50 Grape Krate. Only 1999 of these were made.
006-12.jpg

007-11.jpg

008-12.jpg

You got a good buy...at least it found a good home :wink:

Maybe $400-$500 under what they sell for these days :!:

I mean in 1999 Schwinn produced 1999 Grape Krates.The Grape Krate was a dealers promo bike and is the only reproduced krate that doesn't have the racing stripe and S logo on the seat. The only Schwinn shops that could get any of the grapes were the shops that participated in the Cycle Madness sale in 1999.

1999 GRAPE KRATE

The Grape Krate was never produced by Schwinn in the original era of the muscle bikes. It had been a concept, and was rumored to have almost made it to production. In 1999 the re-formed Schwinn bicycle company produced this coaster brake model in Asia, and finally, the Grape Krate was a reality. This limited production model was built in a quantity of 2000 units, packaged in an authentic Schwinn carton, and designed for the collector.

The first Krate bicycles were introduced in the 1968 model year. By 1973 the original Krates were taking serious heat from the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) The rearward weight bias, and small front wheel were attributed to numerous injuries. By 1974, the Krate was gone from Schwinn production.
I might have been joking but I was going off of something. :D

The Grape Krate was produced in 1999 and only 1999 of them were made. You can ck the Schwinn forum, The book called The standard catalog of Schwinn Bicycles 1895-2004 by Doug Mitchel Pages 212,213,215,216.Another Schwinn book by Lou Dzierzak pages 86 and 87.

I know this is an old posting but i recently got one from my buddy. Wondering what they are worth? I have gotten quite a gew offers but dont know what they really are worth now.

Latest posts

Back