Greaser - (7/28) Complete

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
its a 1953 hawthorne that i picked op off craigslist. sticking with a 50's theme, i'm gonna call it "Greaser". here it is when i first got it. more pics soon to come...

hawthorne.jpg

Re: Greaser

that is a cool frame to start with.
i would do without those grips, but the rest is rite on.

i agree. funny story about those grips, someone pointed out to me that they were original oakley 3's and i ended selling them on ebay for more than i paid for the whole bike... score!

okay so i've been busy on the bike and slow on the pictures so i decided to make up for it today. so throw a big bopper 45 on the record player and read on!

4 weeks ago: added 6v roller generator and union headlight

generator.jpg

light.jpg

3 weeks ago: installed wald fenders, stewart warner speedo and temporary handlebars

fenders.jpg

speedo.jpg

2 weeks ago: found a nice rear rack and i modified the skirt to accept a 6v tailight assembly

rack.jpg

tailight.jpg

1 week ago: added a lucky 7 seat post

seat.jpg

today 5/12: just got the lower truss rods (thanks again Herman!)

front.jpg

can't you just smell the pomeade?

front1.jpg

ok kids, stay tuned for more!

Re: Greaser 5/12 update

So far, this looks killer! I love the rear rack, well done! Where did you find that seat?

the seat came stock on the bike, it's original 1953 equipment. a very nice troxel at that!

sorry, i can't help myself. i call foul. you started this bike 4 weeks ago from may 3.. rules says bike can't be built. nice bike.

Outlaw

dude, are you serious? lighten up, this all in fun. but for the record, i'm sorry my bike wasn't pulled out of a dumpster and didn't need a complete overhaul. i didn't go to a store and buy a pre-built ratrod bike like i've seen others do(which is what i believe the "must not already be built" rule applies to). just because i had a rideable bike to begin with doesn't mean it was already built. i could remove the wheels and take a picture of it on top of a pile of trash if that will make you happy... come on man, gimme a break.

Well, the rule is you can't start working on your bike to bring it towards your final version until May second. There were plenty of guys with their projects in the wings just waiting for the launch date. There are people who had complete bikes that they either tore down and waited for may 2nd to roll around, or waited til then to tear down(like myself) because they knew they wouldn't be able to help themselves from doing it all. Now that being said, I believe the spirit of it is to keep someone from entering an already completed bike, i.e. something they had spent all winter building and perfecting. I don't think there is anythign in the rules about entering a project that maybe had been started but sidelined, but I would check with RatRod on this one... It's a tough call. BUT I really dig your bike. I've always wanted one of those forks, and your paint scheme and lighting and stance and everything is awesome!

ok just for the record, i didn't even know ratrodbikes.com existed until a few weeks ago. not until this guy was talking to me about my bike and he told me about the website. i checked it out and thought about what a great place this was to meet and talk to people with great new ideas about a common interest. then, when i learned of the contest i said to myself that my bike and what i was trying to do with it would be perfect for it. i admit i already had a couple of bolt ons installed by then, but the the real meat of the project is yet to come and it is a long way off from being a finished bike. the pictures i've taken so far is the bike mocked up, what i have planned will require a 85-90% tear down(in stages) to complete. but, i could take those few bolt ons off and re-install them now if it's really that big of a deal. also, as a new member i did not know there was a date limitation to start your build. nowhere in the BUILD OFF RULES - READ THIS FIRST does it state anything about that. i was really diggin this website but now i'm not so sure....

Hey man I say you're in. And I also don't let one bad experience ruin this here for ya. 99% of the time, this is the most chil relaxed place on the net. That one percent comes around build-off time, which just hapens to be when you showed up. Some reason, people get all huffy about a competition, even if it is for fun. So I wouldn't count you out as of yet. You just happened to have an awesome start on your buildoff bike, and maybe didn't know about the buildoff before the buildoff... Like I said I really dig your bike, and I hope it's not disqualified. Just think. If you hadn't have put a date on your pictures, no one would know you bolted stuff on early. I don't think you should be penalized for your honesty... But I also know that Steve, aka RatRod, the founding father of this site works real hard to keep this build-off fair and a level playing field. I would refer all judgment to him... He's a fair guy. I mean your bike isn't complete. you said yourself you have some more ideas and stuff for it. I say go for it.

fenderhole said:
i was really diggin this website but now i'm not so sure....

Whoa Nelly. :wink:

Before everyone get's their rim strips in a wad....let's see if we can talk this one through.

This is sort of a tricky one because technically you did start your build before the build off even began, but from what you say, you are far from finished. Like you said, you joined the forum a day after the build off began so I think we can probably cut you a little slack.

The rule everyone is referring to is rule number four....."4. Bike must not already be built." The whole purpose of this rule is to make sure that people are building along with everyone else and that they are not entering a bike that they took 2 years to create...thus giving them an unfair advantage.

I think what we will do is allow your bike in the build off, but keep an eye on it to make sure that there are significant changes made during the rest of the contest.

This is all just for fun so let's try to keep it light. :wink:

See? I told ya Steve's a cool cat. I don't think anyone here thought you were trying to cheat, and I perconally am glad you're still in. Keep up the good work on the greaser man!

sheesh!.... well all controversy aside, here's a pic of the tank i just got today. it's gonna take some work to get in shape but hopefully the end result will be worth the effort.

tank.jpg

Once again, I can't wait to see how this turns out. You already got a sweet start. I wouldn't mind finding a tank for my hawthorne, but I doubt I will at an affordable price, since mine is a 24 inch bike... Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back