Greetings from Orange County, CA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at this site for a while and thought I should take a closer look, I'll have a few questions and may be able to answer a few too. I'm 46 and built my first bike in 1978 at age 14. Started hanging out at the now famous Pedal Pusher in Newport Beach around that time, and currently ride a '33 Schwinn B10E that they restored in about 1979. I saw this particular bike then and encouraged my friend to buy it as I did not have the funds, and he offered it to me 30 years later. (Will post pics later). In the process of building a '35 Schwinn Model C, with NOS tank, and fenders.

I am a fine artist and degreed graphic artist and really love low brow art and the whole car culture largely grown in Southern Ca. Here is the description from my about me page on ebay, as it serves well...

I have long been fascinated by things from the past, whether they be bicycles, coins, furniture, ghost towns, "B" movies, mechanical banks, rare books or fossils. I have always been drawn to old artifacts, as they are almost always better made, have more style, and are a direct link to our historic past.

As a kid growing up in the 1970's in Southern California, my first real connection to collectibles was the Balloon tire bicycle, but it was certainly not the first. By the age of 14 I had built my first, and summers were spent delivering newspapers on a 1950's Schwinn Hornet during the week, and cruising between Huntington and Newport Beach on the boardwalk on weekends, and pedaling everywhere throughout the "OC". I purchased bike parts whenever I could, always planning my next build, and began entering many bike shows that were common during the 1980's. I built my last bike in 1995. Several hundred swap meets and antique shows later, I realized things had gotten out of control, the number of collections I was feeding became somewhat unreasonable.

Beginning in Summer 2011, I will start building custom bikes again, specializing in deluxe prewar balloon tire bicycles, offering faithful restorations to wild customs. Look for AeroCyclery to make its small mark on the hobby in the near future. Just working out the logistics now. You can contact me at [email protected] anytime. With regard to collectors and collecting, we are all just caretakers of these fine things for a relatively short time, you can't take them with you. Mike

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like you started the same year and same age as i did at this addiction !, Welcome from Nor-Cal !

Thanks for the welcome... I too am an AS bolt nut. Once went crazy when a chromer lovingly filled the AS on a set of pre-war springer bolts. I have one that I'm told is scarce and a one year type seat post AS bolt from '46 or '47. It is the regular half moon shape but instead of incused or engraved letters they are in high relief. I picked it up at a show/swap 25 years ago and showed it to Leon Dixon who said it was nothing unusual. He came up to me hours later and offered me $10 for it, so I kept it. Ever seen one? Is it rare?

Best,

Mike

mikesartifacts said:
Thanks for the welcome... I too am an AS bolt nut. Once went crazy when a chromer lovingly filled the AS on a set of pre-war springer bolts. I have one that I'm told is scarce and a one year type seat post AS bolt from '46 or '47. It is the regular half moon shape but instead of incused or engraved letters they are in high relief. I picked it up at a show/swap 25 years ago and showed it to Leon Dixon who said it was nothing unusual. He came up to me hours later and offered me $10 for it, so I kept it. Ever seen one? Is it rare?

Best,

Mike

i'd say it must be rare ? i do'nt have one :? i have the ''46'' bigbar striaght bar frame it goes on and have'nt been able to find one ,although i must say i have'nt looked very hard :D ...........Ralph

mikesartifacts said:

Best,

Mike
He came back up to you hours later???? It makes you go Hhmmmmmmm......He must have knew you had something there....

Latest posts

Back