GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GUMBY RUMPUS**Blinded by the light, Revved up like a Deuce..

Let there be light!

And it just keeps getting better!!!

To bad we don't live closer. Would love to compare notes.

Corse with this new thread running as to "Built" or "Assembled" there's a couple yahoo's out there that wouldn't agree with us!

Oh-Darn! :wink:

Love the bike.

I like the way things just bubble around in your head then erupt into goodness.

That "Stop"on the tailight is just so true.
Don't waste time thinking just Stop! then realize it's a bike rather than a HG wells time machine in stealth mode.

You're going to have some people scratching their heads when they realise there is a .com on the chainguard and then have to wonder how much of it is new and how much isn't especially with the NOS skip tooth.

Kroozerdave said:

That "Stop"on the tailight is just so true.
Don't waste time thinking just Stop! then realize it's a bike rather than a HG wells time machine in stealth mode.

You're going to have some people scratching their heads when they realise there is a .com on the chainguard and then have to wonder how much of it is new and how much isn't especially with the NOS skip tooth.

See there, first mention of HG Wells, there should be more in my opinion. Heading down the "Steampunk" road! Lovin it. Only wish my CWC was this far along! :wink:

This is definitely getting my vote! :shock:

8)

kingfish254 said:
Let there be light!

King Zebba said:
Nice work!

LukeTheJoker said:
Very very cool! Love that light mount...

Luke.

Thanks so much guys! :D

oldfart36 said:
And it just keeps getting better!!!

To bad we don't live closer. Would love to compare notes.

Corse with this new thread running as to "Built" or "Assembled" there's a couple yahoo's out there that wouldn't agree with us

Oh-Darn! :wink:

Love the bike.

AW SHUCKS!! :D I wish we DID live closer, your pics of your man town are insane!
BUILT!! :wink: Thanks a bunch!

kim_dude said:
LOVE that tail light!!! :shock: 8)

Thanks Kim! 8)

Kroozerdave said:

You're going to have some people scratching their heads when they realize there is a .com on the chain guard and then have to wonder how much of it is new and how much isn't especially with the NOS skip tooth.

Thanks Dave!
That's exactly the reaction I'm after! Many many layers of patina, including NOS :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
This is definitely getting my vote! :shock:

Thanks man! I really appreciate it ! 8)

I cant believe the end is almost here :shock:

:D

I got to tinker yesterday ,briefly ,before work ( nothing real noteworthy or picturesque )
You know , cleaning and greasing bearings , adjusting and tightening stuff.....

I am about 90% complete with GUMBY RUMPUS so far.....I have Tuesday off from work to wrap it all up . I have a few cool details I'd like to add. They look sweet in my head, lets see how it looks on the bike :wink:
( I've written my checklist sos not to forget anything )

This upcoming week will be crazy work schedule-wise and next weekend is gonna be busy ( I have organized a 2nd annual Neighborhood-wide Tag sale--( 3rd & 4th) Tons of work involved with planning ,etc. )

:mrgreen:

Anyways,I have to work today .....
But I wanted to take a few minutes to "stop and smell the patina "

Special thanks goes out to all of you great folks that have helped me make this build possible .......

bikesnbuses -------Columbia springer fork

chimichanga --------Green tires and tubes

ind-chuckz-------Heavy Duty black rims

slowriderz-------Custom Layback seat post

Terry66 ------ Striped Seat

Jpromo------Elgin Skip tooth Chain ring

npence-------- Huffy Chain guard

Rat Rod ( Steve , our fearless leader :D ) -----Ratrodbikes.com sticker

SimpleMan------Early fender brace

Smoopy-----Flyin' eyeball & Rat Fink Stickers

A bike is certainly a sum of its parts, Impossible without this great site and all it's AWESOME members :mrgreen:

So....
When I ride this bike to a cruise night , car show , or just plain CRUISIN and people ask ( who aren't " in the know" )

" Ratrodbikes ? , hmmmm never heard of that brand of bike? " I can honestly say.....

" YEP! " it certainly is a "RATRODBIKE "

Stay tuned......

8)

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS***** " Stop and smell the patina".....

Ok, now ship her to my place and we'll keep her safe for ya! :lol:

oldfart36 said:
Ok, now ship her to my place and we'll keep her safe for ya! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I at least ride it once first? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 11 refresher pic 8)

More progress tomorrow ( Day off! Wooo hoooo!! :D )

Stay tuned !

cool love it!!

Troy

8)

jats said:
cool love it!!

Troy

Thanks Troy! :mrgreen:

:D

I was off from work today and got some good tinker time outside ( weather was absolutely perfect today! )

First up I had to figure out a kick stand instead of the jackstand and pipe gig ( works ok in the garage , wouldn't fly on the open road though :lol: )

I only found one kickstand in my parts pile that fit in the frame perfectly , but it was too short.......

That's half the battle......

On this past 4th of July I was helping my buddy clear out the Spartan Camper he just bought ( was abandoned so it was full of junk )

and I found this real cool Blue Point wrench in it. I set it aside with repurposing it someday in mind.....

Broke out my state of the art workbench :wink: and grabbed some tools.....

Notched and ground down .....

Test fit

I didn't get a pic of it , but I pre-heated the metal first with my vintage avocado green propane torch :p ( I read somewhere online once that you should if its too thick of a job you are asking a small mig welder to do, helps with weld penetration ) A wrench and a kickstand are really thick and I didn't want the bike to keel over with bad welds ( I'm real good at bad welds --LOVE my grinder and flapper discs :lol: )

Bolted it up to see if it held up... It did 8)

( I later ground it down to narrow it up a bit , to sort of blend the round kickstand into a fat , flat wrench. Less bulgy-ish. Those pics didn't come out too hot though )

Next detail I had to tackle was the springer fork bracket to headtube...
When I chopped and shortened the fork to fit ( was a girls fork ) I had set the bracket aside for a later date. The mens version has a straight version of this bracket , I wanted to use the angled one cuz I liked it ( angle and patina-wise :) )

I drilled out the original hole to drop it down farther down to the next " notch "....

I added a spring I found , a rusty shock mount cup I found on the sidewalk once ( see , I really do love rust :wink: )
I loved how they worked together , so they made the " cut" .....

Another neat idea I had was.......

Two used AC 45 Green stripe Fire Ring spark plugs from a Chevy Corvette ( 53-67 )

Hogged out , they make perfect .....
:shock:

Next on my check list was, the Model A Ford Tail light was from the left side of the car. ( which means it would have a clear lense on the bottom to illuminate the plate. ) I am not running a plate so.....

It was a little too shiny and smooth for my liking , so I grabbed some tin snips and flattened it with a rubber mallet first...

Personally I like the " tinfoil back on the roll " look of it :p

Small details , but its still progress ....

More updates tomorrow ....

Stay tuned.......

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS***** Ring of Fire 7/30

LukeTheJoker said:
Man! Awesome progress!

Luke.

Thanks buddy !
Still a few more details I have to iron out.....

GETTIN THERE

Happy August everyone!! EEEEK!

Hi!

What an incredibly sick bike!! And great photo journal of the progress on this bike.

Gotta love the inclusion of PBR!! This bike rocks!!

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Thinking Cap Time.....

8)
From page 5.......
oldfart36 said:
There's only one thing wrong with this bike! It's not one of Mine!! :wink:

Love the thought and the expression going into this. Really cool, keep it up! Want to see more.

If you put any fresh paint near this bike, this old dude will come and haunt ya!! 8)

I DID paint the chain guard, but then I rusted the heck outta it :wink:

Does that count ? :lol:

kim_dude said:
I approve of the use of anything PBR. :D

lilratpinkchik said:
Hi!

What an incredibly sick bike!! And great photo journal of the progress on this bike.

Gotta love the inclusion of PBR!! This bike rocks!!

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the PBR nod :wink:

I appreciate the positive comments!!

Stay tuned for more finished pics....

Latest posts

Back