H.S.B.&Co. Cruso - Now what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I went to go look at a 61' Karmann Ghia and came home with this instead. The headbadge says H.S.B.& Co. Cruso with a rooster on it. I don't know anything about this bicycle let alone this era of bicycle. All I know is that I probably overpaid but I have never owned a wooden rimmed bike before and these rims look like they are in pretty good shape, considering.

Now the real question is what to do with it?

Caruso001.jpg

Caruso003.jpg

Both hubs have oilers and the rear has the world's oldest hub-shiner.

Caruso004.jpg

Caruso006.jpg

Caruso009.jpg

The seat came unattached up front but it is original to the bike and has Cruso marked on both sides.
Caruso013.jpg

Caruso014.jpg

Caruso011.jpg

Pedals look original as does the crank which has a dogleg on one side.
Caruso010.jpg

Caruso005.jpg

The grips are wood and leather.
Caruso015.jpg
Caruso016.jpg

If anybody has any info on this bike I am all ears.

H.S.B. & Co was a store, and they were serial re-branders, so who knows who actually made it.

Obviously it would have been a skip tooth bike originally, but it looks like they kept the original coaster brake and wheels whenever they converted it so that is neat.

Pretty cool - although I have to say that frame looks pretty fragile!

very cool bike there. i think id just hang it up as a something cool,to stare at.
bet the seller wanted a ton for a 61 ghia up there huh?

blackchop1 said:
very cool bike there. i think id just hang it up as a something cool,to stare at.
bet the seller wanted a ton for a 61 ghia up there huh?
It had been customized 20 years ago with a new interior and the motor from a 914. Ten years later he parked it where it sits today. He wants $1900. I am still tempted.

if it was all original - itd be worth 1900.
but then again air cooled vws of any sort are high dollar up there in mt.
good thing i live in az for now- as i will be buying myself another vw before i move back up there. cheaper that way.

Latest posts

Back