Have to try this for myself...first Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out for a pick to get an old Hercules, but came home with a couple of old balloon tire bikes. At first my plan had been to do a klunker-cruiser, but my time browsing here has turned me in another direction. I believe I can get this done with spares and a single roadside parts donor ( a 70s AMF ). I have a $40 budget. I imagine it will include parts from 7 different decades when its done.

One of my favorite mountain bikes was an On-One Summer Season ( I never should have sold) that had a very cool lacquer over raw steel finish. I want this look, but still want to make it obvious that this is an old bruiser of a bike.

Took a picture with the work lights off to show the lines of the mock up without the harsh shadows.

Here's an honest question for you all....

I've sanded the fenders down part way to a dull red ( the pin striping is almost entirely gone). I could rub them down with linseed oil for a good result, or shoot them with a black rust reformer rattle can. I probably prefer the oil treatment for the red, but do not have the oil here. I could also hit them with the same clear lacquer that I did the frame with. I do already have the black paint. A friend suggested that the true "rat rod" way to do things is to always use what you have on hand first before buying something. I come from a competitive mountain biking background and have a history of spending tons of money for the parts I wanted in that pursuit, so this isn't a question about the actual cost of doing things, but more to get a notion of the sensibility used to make these decisions.

How would any of you do it?

I'm a low / no budget guy so I try to avoid buying stuff if possible. :grin:
Pretty much everything cool here has that hand hewn unique look and patina.
How you get to what you want is up to you. Your skills and available time kinda determine that... Good luck with the project and keep us informed!

Got some stitching up to do, but it should sit pretty much the way it's dressed now. The profile of the tires is tall with straight side walls and may not clear the fenders, but I'll try to tweak them before I make a change.
Love those bars. What are they from?

Looks great ... I'm also digging the bars. I really like the front rack with the raw finish. I like the cut back & matt blacked rear fender, but it might look better with no front fender? Cool chainring too.

Looks like this...

DSC_2569.JPG

There is a lay-back seat post on order....we'll see how it looks.

DSC_2572.JPG

DSC_2579.JPG

I always liked the look of the tread pattern on these tires. They've been hanging in the shop for almost 20 years.

Hello.. Everyone.. I'm apollo.. New here.
I just recently found a barn find.. A 1964 Sears Spaceliner Deluxe.. Rat Trap. Unfortunately all the tins are missing.. So what to do..
This is how it ended up looking.. I reverse the springer swing arms. The fater tires would not work with the original design. Ride and handling much better as the rake and trail are increased. I called it "Covid".

Attachments

• _20200920_210307.JPG
    _20200920_210307.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 97
  • _20200922_215133.JPG
    _20200922_215133.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Here's an honest question for you all....

I've sanded the fenders down part way to a dull red ( the pin striping is almost entirely gone). I could rub them down with linseed oil for a good result, or shoot them with a black rust reformer rattle can. I probably prefer the oil treatment for the red, but do not have the oil here. I could also hit them with the same clear lacquer that I did the frame with. I do already have the black paint. A friend suggested that the true "rat rod" way to do things is to always use what you have on hand first before buying something. I come from a competitive mountain biking background and have a history of spending tons of money for the parts I wanted in that pursuit, so this isn't a question about the actual cost of doing things, but more to get a notion of the sensibility used to make these decisions.

How would any of you do it?
Boiled linseed oil can bring out the color of faded paint. It doesn't necessarily restore the color as much as it makes it pop. It can be top coated with polyurethane after it's cured. It also darkens rust. If you plan on doing a bunch of bikes and crusty parts it can be worthwhile to have on hand.

Latest posts

Back