HEADBANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1379732_663210970363957_314997278_n.jpg

OCC I got yesterday...in good shape!
1236981_659799094038478_167696211_n.jpg

Hawthorne I think is a 36" with a badly repaired broke frame (behind the seatpost)

The OCC has a wide BB... wonder if I can fab the BB on the 36" CWC (may use a different donor but the CWC has a broke frame anyway) into a pivot like a mountain bike...cut a couple brackets to weld to the Schwinn's BB... connect the two seat posts with a spring/shock... love to use the OCC seat position , but then its not a soft tail is it...

Muscle bike criteria: bigger back tire-check, ape hangers-check, banana seat sissy bar-mmmaybe...

Re: [Muscle Bike Buildoff] Soft Tail Chopper

When I first looked at the photos, I was thinking how bad it was that you were going to chop a prewar, but then I read that the rear of the frame is screwed up anyway. Carry on.
GIT TO BUILDIN!

Re: [Muscle Bike Buildoff] Soft Tail Chopper

kingfish254 said:
When I first looked at the photos, I was thinking how bad it was that you were going to chop a prewar, but then I read that the rear of the frame is screwed up anyway. Carry on.
GIT TO BUILDIN!

That's in the back of my head too... So I'm still disassembling the OCC and looking for a different donor for the front... a classic 20" frame or a smaller mtb ... finding rather than building a frame pivot would be ideal to me...

Re: Soft Tail Chopper

This sounds cool. Make it happen

Diabolical_Dork said:
This sounds cool. Make it happen

Yep. Nothing to show yet. Got the OCC stripped down, semi-frantically searching for a MTB donor for the frame pivot...
Collecting bits for the details, got some rams coming from CRASH, Thanks brother! Waiting on the seat till I see how the frame flows. Looking at suicide brakes.... This is a awesome site. RatRod. RatRod. RatRod...

Think I've found the perfect donor - Hyper Havoc $125.00 at walmarf.
Aluminum should help keep her light. Cheap paint prog won't let me tilt that front clip just a bit...
Cutting down the front tube will rake it a bit more too... still will need a bent seat post...

I don't think so... I'll need to copy the little ears that hold the pivot point and weld them to the Schwinn frame, and cap the top tube and weld ears on it to hold the shock. Should be fun, I haven't welded in years... but I have a little Lincoln buzz-box a buddy gave to me, and extra steel from the discarded bits to practice on. That Hyper bike has front suspension forks too, I wonder if I can get them joined to the OCC forks....Hmm... may swap front gears too, muscle bike needs some gears to shift...

Punch List:
Get donor bike (get some cash)
Weld tabs on Schwinn (remember how to weld)
Suicide brake on the front (source a 24" coaster brake rim)
build shifter for the front crank (thread a Tiki head)
paint scheme (flat black is rat)
detail, rams, saddle, shifter boot...(my head is starting to hurt) 50 days left... :shock:

outskirtscustoms said:
I took the liberty of cleaning up your rendering a little bit.
Thank you so much! I used to do so much on the Amiga, I can't believe a 20 year old machine has better graphics than current PCs. How much do you gotta spend to be able to tilt ANY angle rather than just 90 or 180 degrees? I'd love to be able to tilt that top tube to match that rear angle on the back end, and get that headset angle to match up to the forks... looks to me like just tilt the whole front clip just a bit... BUT outskirts got the thing close enough to get the general idea, thanks again!

Now if I can just get it done in the next 49 days... :shock:

GuitarlCarl said:
Don't stress! One step at a time, just remember to allow time for paint and dry at the end if you are planning to! On this site though, paint and finish is not always a good thing... :wink:

Luke.

GuitarlCarl said:
outskirtscustoms said:
I took the liberty of cleaning up your rendering a little bit.
Thank you so much! I used to do so much on the Amiga, I can't believe a 20 year old machine has better graphics than current PCs. How much do you gotta spend to be able to tilt ANY angle rather than just 90 or 180 degrees? I'd love to be able to tilt that top tube to match that rear angle on the back end, and get that headset angle to match up to the forks... looks to me like just tilt the whole front clip just a bit... BUT outskirts got the thing close enough to get the general idea, thanks again!

If you're using Microsoft paint you can use the Sketch and skew options but it will somewhat distort the image. I just kinda moved it around and lined it up as it was. Looks cool.

LukeTheJoker said:
GuitarlCarl said:
Don't stress! One step at a time, just remember to allow time for paint and dry at the end if you are planning to! On this site though, paint and finish is not always a good thing... :wink:

Luke.
hehe... Not freakin' out yet... I think I can probably get the bike assembled in a couple days IF I had the parts... Gotta couple side jobs to do before I can go get the donor at Walmarf... got two kids birthdays in the next week too!

CRASH said:
Wll, at least your Rams Horns are (finally) on the way!
ALL GOOD! Got both kids B-days covered too... Maybe I can get some work done on the Soft Tail...

Every big box store I go in I look at the bikes (and who doesn't...) and visually measure up what frame bits will work for me...
I still think the Hyper has the best lines and the aluminum will help on weight, cuz that OCC back end is heavy.
Note to self... dig the welder out...

GuitarlCarl said:
Every big box store I go in I look at the bikes (and who doesn't...) and visually measure up what frame bits will work for me...
Guilty as charged... :roll:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back