Hershey AACA car show find. Another Sam-Sco Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this one up yesterday as it was coming out of a vendor's trailer.

Rollfast2.jpg

Rollfast1.jpg

I'm thinking alloy rims, three-piece crank, big Klaxon horn, and leaving the original patina on everything else.

I love the paint and patina look of it, I'd throw on a set of new whitewalls rubbed with oil for the old and worn look, clean and oil the seat, grease the bearings, throw on some grips, and ride it. :mrgreen:

White walls would be especially difficult to find, if not impossible..Those are singletube wheels. If they are 28's, expect to pay $200.00 - $ 300.00 for a new rubber. I'd shelve the original wheels and convert to 700c. Maybe you could patina the new wheels to fake the look (if that is your thing)?

Easier said than done. Sam-Sco or the Triplex stores were the retailer. Kind of like how many Colson's are badged for the retailer not for the manufacturer. I forget who made these, DP Harris or Snyder, I think Yeshoney has more info. There is some on them here on the forum.

Mine was a balooner, so i dated it as Old

Since yours is a moto balooner, I'd all it More Older

That's as accurate as i can offer. :D I'm sure there is a more scientific method out there....

Walker said:
White walls would be especially difficult to find, if not impossible..Those are singletube wheels. If they are 28's, expect to pay $200.00 - $ 300.00 for a new rubber. I'd shelve the original wheels and convert to 700c. Maybe you could patina the new wheels to fake the look (if that is your thing)?

Ah forgot it was 28" If nothing else tire paint some normal black tires then patina it.

highship said:
how would i go about dating a sam-sco
This bike was built by Snyder, and distributed through DP Harris, hence the H's chainring. It's maybe 1935 at the newest, early 30s likely. -Adam

I was thinking of keeping as many of the original parts as possible. 700C alloy wheels with drum brake hubs or a coaster brake. Creme colored tires and maybe a 3 piece alloy BMX crank. I also have some 26" wheels and I'd like to see if my creme colored Fat Franks will fit but it may be too tight, especially if I keep the fenders on it. The seat appears to be a little delicate looking so I'll probably swap that for an old Brooks B-66 I have. Memory Lane has some foam grips that look like wood. They might look good on this too.

Nice Find!!

Sell me the seat if you decide to swap it out., 8)

Joe

Nice find!. I planned on going to this car show to hunt for bikes but thought it wasn't to the end of the month :( See anything else interesting?

Heres my Sam Sco. Ever see that thing behind the seat before? The two lights on the seat the headlight and the horn are all battery powered.

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

That seat light is cool, can you put a license plate in the middle of the lights?

the light is aluminum but the lens is gone and it is dented but you can't see that in my wonderful pictures.

I supose you could put a plate on the "seat lights" as long as it fit between the seat and the switch.

So, I hit the bike with some Spray Nine and a scrub brush and found out it's actually red, not brown or burgundy. :mrgreen:

I have some ideas and am currently scrounging for parts. Look for it in the bike builds section soon. 8)

IMG_0442.jpg

Rustinkerer said:
highship said:
how would i go about dating a sam-sco
This bike was built by Snyder, and distributed through DP Harris, hence the H's chainring. It's maybe 1935 at the newest, early 30s likely. -Adam

I pulled the crank today and found a "3" stamped on it and a "4a" that was cast in it. 3rd month of 1934 perhaps? :?:

Back