HO Trains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these from my grandfather in-law - trying to decide whether or not to put them 'round the tree this year or sell. Anybody know if any of these are worth anything? I saw the blue locomotive and tender sold for $46 on ebay recently.

Trains004.jpg

Trains002.jpg

Being an HO guy for years they were entry level train sets designed for kids and people starting out.We all had them at one point. Remember Tyco also made the racing car sets we all had as kids in the '70s.
Anyway ,they aren't worth much to collectors as they are pretty common. They would look really sweet under the tree.
They are tough as nails and run well but noisey. I would clean up the brass wheel sets on the engines with a bit of rubbing alchohol on a cotton swab for better contact.I would upgrade the track to the nickel module track of today over the old 1970s brass track. Bachmann EZ track is the best. These have the plastic roadbed attached to the track to the bottom of the track and help avoid bits of carpet and such to get up into your engines and rolling stock and don't get dirty as fast as brass. Dirty track makes the engines run rough and eventually stop because of the bad electrical contact.
They aren't worth a million but should give you many years of service under the tree. Maybe your grand children will enjoy them someday.
Enjoy them and have fun.
:D Jeff

Just because two people got in a passionate bidding war does not mean you would get that for it. I loved model trains, though I haven't done anything with them in a long time. I find these TYCO trains quite a bit. Expecially the cars and accessories. Our local antique store as a few-overpriced, but they are there. We have a gigantic train show in Dayton every year in November and I see these frequently. They can be worth a few bucks, especially the blue one being a steam engine, but you won't find a quality Christmas train set these days unless pay out some serious cash. So, in my opinion, they would be better served if they were loved as toys underneath the tree. The enjoyment of kids and grandkids and the sight of a train under a tree are worth more than all that time and effort to sell $100 in vintage trains. Especially when a new set of this build quality costs two or three times that easily.

My father was born in the 40's, as a child the family did the Lionel's around the tree bit as he grew up. He would get a new train or something every year. I only remember setting it up once when I was in my teens. When he passed, much was auctioned. This was held out for me, I forget the scale but it's nearly 14" long. I brought it to my wife's Uncle's house (he has a huge display) and after not having been run in 25 years or so, it took right off. I wish I had been around to keep more of the set.

102011017.jpg

Keep the trains

I believe that's an O scale Lionel . The road is the mighty Pennsylvania R.R. type GG 1 electric in Tuscan green which indicates it as a freight engine.
Real nice. She's a beauty. :D

Latest posts

Back