Home made leather bike tool bag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother passed away a little while back and left a bunch of leather craft tools plus a nice chunk of cowhide. I had never done any leathercrafting so I thought it would be cool to give it a try. Plus with this Covid thing still going on I needed to find things to occupy some time. I watched a lot of youtube videos to learn the basics and started off by making a couple of belts and wrist bands. My brother left some spent 357 casings so I used them on the wrist bands. I’ve always wanted a nice leather tool pouch for my Ruff cycle electric build so I thought why not make my own.I spent many hours hand stitching and can see why hand made items cost so much. I made a few small mistakes along the way but was able to hide them ok. Overall I was pleasantly surprised on how well the bag turned out for my first try. Now I’m thinking of my next project..
26DC97F9-58C6-4EC9-B981-C2B126A32925.jpeg
45843E41-EC45-4D79-A13F-7F68F934A29C.jpeg
0523F37A-900F-41D2-9B73-AAA5C658FD05.jpeg
04B4B378-949C-449D-BBEA-F360CED962BB.jpeg
ED9E8260-469B-4B44-B795-7BDD2AF72731.jpeg

My brother passed away a little while back and left a bunch of leather craft tools plus a nice chunk of cowhide. I had never done any leathercrafting so I thought it would be cool to give it a try. Plus with this Covid thing still going on I needed to find things to occupy some time. I watched a lot of youtube videos to learn the basics and started off by making a couple of belts and wrist bands. My brother left some spent 357 casings so I used them on the wrist bands. I’ve always wanted a nice leather tool pouch for my Ruff cycle electric build so I thought why not make my own.I spent many hours hand stitching and can see why hand made items cost so much. I made a few small mistakes along the way but was able to hide them ok. Overall I was pleasantly surprised on how well the bag turned out for my first try. Now I’m thinking of my next project..View attachment 117690View attachment 117691View attachment 117692View attachment 117693View attachment 117694
Got it on my bike
0B3D0BCB-5088-4999-8A97-91DF959EEB0E.jpeg

Nice work!

What holds the casings onto the wristbands?
First I punched holes in the leather just big enough for the casing body to fit thru but not the cap. Got I nice snug fit. Then I used a a pipe cutter to cut the bullet casing to the length to fit the thickness of the leather. Then I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the bullet casing along the length so I could spread the casing. Insert bullet casings into leather, spread apart then hammer them flat. I put a
3CE6A49A-89FD-4679-B4D5-403DC2AA7794.jpeg
piece of leather underneath while I hammered them so I didn’t damage the cap.

First I punched holes in the leather just big enough for the casing body to fit thru but not the cap. Got I nice snug fit. Then I used a a pipe cutter to cut the bullet casing to the length to fit the thickness of the leather. Then I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the bullet casing along the length so I could spread the casing. Insert bullet casings into leather, spread apart then hammer them flat. I put a View attachment 118010piece of leather underneath while I hammered them so I didn’t damage the cap.
Smart! :thumbsup:

Wow, so nice! Reminds me of when my grandma used to be into leather working when I was little.

I was just looking at tool bags a couple of days ago too! Maybe....... nah better not, I got too many rabbit holes open as it is.

Live long our brothers do, in our hearts, by our hands

A fleeting glimpse, a passing cloud every once in awhile

Latest posts

Back