How did you come up with your AVATAR ? And Screen Name ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live on a farm, and have horses.
Archie 4.JPG

I change my Avitar with the seasons, now I have a local winter picture up. My screen name is as close as I remember to what Uncle Sam called me after I got drafted. Army draftee numbers began with US as in US property. Anyone who volunteered (lifer) had a number that started with RA (regular Army) and National Guard had a number that started with NG or as us draftees used to say no good but the Guard came back at us and said it stood for next to god. In those days the Guard never got called up and had a lot of draft dodgers. I respect them now.

Current pic is just me on the river in one of my wood kayaks.

Duchess is the recurring name for the beloved vehicles of the main character in my books throughout various lifetimes (though, he doesn't always know why he names his vehicles such).

The original Duchess was a late 17th Century Scottish duchess that the main character, the son of a merchant, had an ill-fated love for.
Duchess was his later "privateer for a free Scotland"/pirate flagship during his attempt to shore up a floundering Scottish colony in South America and drive the English from the Caribbean.

Duchess the First & Duchess II were P-47 Thunderbolts with the 56th FG stationed in the UK assigned to the same character in a later life.

Duchess is a heavily modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon used by smuggler-turned-counter-terrorist Dante Moretti in the present(ish) day (and a not-as-heavily modified one in perpetual "restoration" status in my garage).

Duchess VI is an experimental armored and armed monocoque car built by Dante at series' end as an "end of days" insurance in the event the terrorist organization comes after him.

Current pic is just me on the river in one of my wood kayaks.

Duchess is the recurring name for the beloved vehicles of the main character in my books throughout various lifetimes (though, he doesn't always know why he names his vehicles such).

The original Duchess was a late 17th Century Scottish duchess that the main character, the son of a merchant, had an ill-fated love for.
Duchess was his later "privateer for a free Scotland"/pirate flagship during his attempt to shore up a floundering Scottish colony in South America and drive the English from the Caribbean.

Duchess the First & Duchess II were P-47 Thunderbolts with the 56th FG stationed in the UK assigned to the same character in a later life.

Duchess is a heavily modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon used by smuggler-turned-counter-terrorist Dante Moretti in the present(ish) day (and a not-as-heavily modified one in perpetual "restoration" status in my garage).

Duchess VI is an experimental armored and armed monocoque car built by Dante at series' end as an "end of days" insurance in the event the terrorist organization comes after him.
These sound like books I might like to read! Are they available on Google books?

Luke.

The first one is out, Midnight in a Perfect World. It's a real published book, so you should be able to order it anywhere (there's even an affiliated printer in Australia). It's the first of a quartet taking place in more or less modern times. It loosely follows The Odyssey and the Divine Comedy, with the journey "home" being figurative (which, it could be argued, the classic works are as well). The first book represents heck both in reference to the external world Dante inhabits and the one in his head (the external story arc mirrors the character's personal one and represents the world to someone living with combat-type PTSD). That sounds really pretentious for a very graphically adult book, but it's there underneath it all. The second one is ready to go aside from the art work, but I think I'm going to publish it myself rather than go through a publisher—long story.

I'll probably never write the pirate story, which would be within a modern frame story about a vet bonding with his daughter while looking for pirate treasure partly because I'm a slow writer and partly because it would be geared towards kids (I'm currently writing a tangential story with a "crazy" clown who talks like a hardboiled PI that I consider to be young adult and that age range is hard enough for me to censor down to).

Ok as stated earlier, I change my avatar often to reflect the build I'm on (or the mood I'm in o_O) The name is actually a longer story... My first email address and one I still use here, started out as a play on my name, Carl. But yahoo was full of Carls and I couldn't use it. Being a guitarist, a smart alecky kid, and having no thoughts forward as to having to type in all of it. I finally came up with guitarl2345@yahoo The saddest part being when you look at it, it seems to say 12345 because the lower case L looks like a 1... So there's the long explanation blah blah blah, I'm also a guitar rebuilder and technician and guitars really are my passion, so, GuitarlCarl it is (even tho most folks still miss that stupid first L)
also guitarl_carl on instagram
with guitar and bike related posts

Guitarl.

As for the avatar, no connection to the Flying A gas stations. I just like the logo since my name begins with "A"
I sort of envision myself flying along on a bike even though in reality it looks more like the little engine that could, huffing and puffing "I think I can" all the way up the hill! LOL
As for the screen name "Handyandy?" My name is Andy and I am pretty handy with tools and building stuff.

My avatar is my current ride. I have been making bubble machines since 1983, originally as a means of showing what the ground winds were doing while flying kites. Over the years I have made machines that make a blizzard of bubbles (15 gallons in one day), machines that make giant bubbles (The Ephemeral Sculpture Machine), and for RenFaires, the Renaissance Bubble Machine. For a number of years I was the moderator of a Yahoo Group called "SoapBubbleFanciers", which has accumulated a vast amount of soap bubble knowledge from bubble makers all over the world. So, I have used "Dbubbleguy" as my email name and user name on various forums.

My FLICKR Page Bubble Machine Set- http://www.flickr.com/photos/28247229@N ... 185772355/

Back in the last century, I had a girlfriend and a '65 Plymouth Fury. She nicked me furyus George, the naughty monkey. The girlfriend is long gone, and so is the Plymouth (I miss the Fury), but the nick has followed me all over Al Gore's Internet. And there you go.

furyus

Mine is a clip from my ride vid of my MBBO #5 build "Shelby Flyer Woody". I was shooting during the ride, noticing my shadow along the way. When I stopped, this image was standing next to me....

my nic name was inspired by tour de france master Lance Armstrong that i heard at the time made about 1hp pedaling on a dyno , and since i tend to keep up with road cyclists on my heavy steel cruisers , i like to pretend i do 1hp too :rofl:

the avatar constantly change but at this time its the '1911 Joe Merkel suspension fork replica'' i did recently with pretty basic tools for the job , its the thing ive built that iam the most proud of to date , still cant beleive i pulled this out :happy:

Mine is a clip from my ride vid of my MBBO #5 build "Shelby Flyer Woody". I was shooting during the ride, noticing my shadow along the way. When I stopped, this image was standing next to me....

You forgot to mention how you came up with your screen name ?

Latest posts

Back