How does this happen?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took apart the headtube on my mixte, and I noticed that half of the steerer tube was eaten away. The little crater holes confuse me even more. I am going to replace this fork.
20191020_120535.jpg

It looks like something got into the head tube and was grinding into the surface. Was it working smoothly?

Judging by the pic, it doesn't look like it needs to be replaced to me.

There's nothing wrong with that. It was probably done before or during assembly. There's nothing that it could effect or that could have done it while in use. Look at the bearing race, it's like new. Put it back together and stop worrying about ghosts.

Carl.

Some forks have marks embossed on them with build dates and such. This might be destroying the evidence of something?

I've seen that on other forks and never had an issue. I'm pretty sure it's something that happens during the manufacturing process, but I can't figure out what.

The grinding may happen when something, like a foreign object, or a ball bearing, or part of a bearing cage, gets in-between the fork tube and the head tube. Gravity usually pulls what ever it is toward that bottom cup. Another cause could be loss of bottom bearings or a bent fork tube, (but that does not look to be the case). Another cause could be the joints inside the head tube interfering with normal turns of the steering. It could use a brush of some red primer.

Latest posts

Back