HOW TO BUILD A JIG

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
may have to try that one. :D how much did you spend in materials?

I have seen these elaborite frame jigs , and unless it will hold all the tubes in place while you tack weld them ,they are not really needed. When you think about it, all the tubes in a frame need to be inline. The simplest way to do that is to build the body of your frame on something flat. Given that all of your tubing is the same thickness ,laying them on some flat surface and tack welding them together will give you a straight frame. Then add the things that are a differant size....the neck tube and the rear stays after you have your main part straight. Your neck will always be at the same height in relationship to the ground...unless you build a really wild long set of forks. My jig is a piece of the track from a craftsman garage door opener. It has a 1'' pipe welded square to the track, on one end and 12 1/2'' up an axel drilled through the pipe to hole a fork. I stick any fork on the axel and tighten 4 nuts on it to keep it in place ...then slip the neck you using on and weld the body of the bike to it. Then add the rear stays. You can go from the front to the back on both sides with some string and make sure everything is the same . Works pretty good. Will produce a frame that is straight and useable.

Its too bad that "Budzilacycles" pictures from his post are gone, I picked up ths same steel tracks that "Tikiharl" used to build his. And Stretch yours is super simple and works fine. For me I'm kinda tired of the concrete floor for building on a flat surface. I picked up a exercisor strider deal that will serve as the base. Or if thats too low I have a set of steel saw horses to get it up higher. This cold weather is putting a cramp in the winter building deal. Also the 40 mile an hour wind gusts dont help either.

tikiharl said:
I needed to come up with a basic inexpensive jig to make my next Burrito build a little more precise than "hows that look?" and ''hold this while I tack it". I had always thought the unistrut idea would be a good way to go,mostly because of the adjustments that could be made. On this I used 6" conduit spacers ,8" bolts and 3 sticks of unistrut. I even have a small crossbar that in theory could hold the BB in place,the BB should be craddeld in the open area of the unistrut. It needs a base,some metal or wood cross pieces to secure it. It folds pretty flat as well. It will be put to the test,and any modifacations made this Sat.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

got the measurements for the pieces i would ike to make this rack

Wow! seems like allot of people are really gettin creative with their jiggin' not the dancin jiggin :roll: :mrgreen:

I will be headed home this weekend and I'll be sure to take pics of our frame jig. We use the stingray rear swingarms and the bottom bracket from them and build everything else. :D

http://www.facebook.com/3gfabrications web page coming soon!...ish

Re: HOW not TO BUILD A JIG

Note the uni strut in this pic. The long base rails are facing up ( U shaped ) this is WRONG...hehe :shock:
I turned them facing away from each other ( C shaped ) and this worked well.
The struts on their sides deflected when you tightened the bolts, lucky for me I caught this before I welded...

I needed to come up with a basic inexpensive jig to make my next Burrito build a little more precise than "hows that look?" and ''hold this while I tack it". I had always thought the unistrut idea would be a good way to go,mostly because of the adjustments that could be made. On this I used 6" conduit spacers ,8" bolts and 3 sticks of unistrut. I even have a small crossbar that in theory could hold the BB in place,the BB should be craddeld in the open area of the unistrut. It needs a base,some metal or wood cross pieces to secure it. It folds pretty flat as well. It will be put to the test,and any modifacations made this Sat.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg
this is right up my alley. I'm no engineer but this looks simple enough. I'd rather spend my time working on the bike and this seems simple enough even I can build it. Is there any lengths of ini strut I should use? If not I'll assume the holes are pretty much the standard and just count the holes on yours to come up with lengths. Thank you everybody for sharing your ideas.

Picture033copy.jpg

Picture029copy.jpg

Picture031copy.jpg

The whole work area and my home made frame clamp -

Picture025.jpg

Picture027.jpg

that bike stand/clamp is zoo nice. I'll have to steel that idea and it looks like it swings around too. Awesome. The only thing I'll change is I'll glue some rubber padding on the clamp. Hopefully HF clamps will take a weld. I heard they don't like welds.

Unistrut is nice, you can usually find piles of it at the scrap yard cheap too when its torn out of buildings. Easy enough at home depot as well.

If you want a similar channel with equally spaced holes, check out pallet racking uprights. Much stiffer. Available at scrap metal places if you can find one that will sell to you.

Latest posts

Back