HOW TO BUILD A JIG

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess since this would be used to build most 'other' bikes I will start this thread here. I did up these pics a while ago for another person asking about my jig on CBN. People were asking here, so let's post them here too.

I hope it helps anyone, feel free to copy it.

bikeinjig.jpg

Picture032copy.jpg

Picture028copy.jpg

I like your homemade frame clamp. I've only done one bike so far but I just made various stands as I went and eyeballed the rest. :wink:

I thought I would throw up some pictures of my frame jig... There was a guy on the chopper forum who used uni-strut for a base and thats where I got the idea, I pretty much worked out the rest on my own though
2702357589_255c09d270.jpg

2703177858_e83640d2b3.jpg

2702357469_4421668ab7.jpg

2703177672_36e3867cc6.jpg

2702357293_bf5302db0a.jpg

2703177632_e4132158a1.jpg

If any one has any questions shoot me an email...

where did you get thoses cones that are into the headset and BB?

MonsterMetal said:
I thought I would throw up some pictures of my frame jig... There was a guy on the chopper forum who used uni-strut for a base and thats where I got the idea, I pretty much worked out the rest on my own though.
Those are some nice jigs. MonsterMetal I especially like yours. It looks awesome and well planned out. Looks like you have a pretty sweet shop setup to work with. My Dad is coming to visit in a week and I am going to see if he can help me build a jig like yours. Any Idea on the cost it took to build? I may be in contact for more details.

MMM..... Im not really sure of a cost. I would guess you could spend a couple hundred bucks if you had to buy all new material. I mostly used just what ever I had lying around and left overs from other jobs.

tartosuc said:
where did you get thoses cones that are into the headset and BB?

As far as the aluminum cones go I machined them myself Those are something that if you had to have a machine shop make it might be a tad expensive (I would guess $100-$125 for both the crank and headtube set, The chunk of Aluminum to build them out of was $40 on its own.)
I guess for that matter I could build and ship them If someone wanted a set. Or if you where a local you could come over on a "Bike Night" and we could build them. You would just need to bring your own material. (I try to set aside Tuesdays and Thursday nights to help fellow bikers with there projects, let them use the shop)

They don't have to be Aluminum. You could make them out of hardwood and turn them on a drill press. (using a chunk of all thread for a mandrel and a wood lathe chisel or ever a course file)

Really though your frame jig does not have to look pretty. Its all about holding things where you want them and at the right relationship with the other parts I have seen some really cool stuff built with a "plywood" jig where all the stuff was just screwed to a chunk of plywood that was clamped to a table to keep it flat and using spacers to get the tubes centered. Actually I have seen some great stuff that was built with no jig at all..

The flip side to that argument is that if you put some thought and energy into a good jig it makes it better for all future bike builds. The "tack and straighten" method gets real old the seventh or eighth time you tack something and find its not straight or where you want it ( or that it pulled from the heat of the weld). It also makes it more fun in my opinion and its much easier to see what your doing and make changes as you go.

Anyway Id be happy to help anyone building there own jig If I can.

On an unrelated note.... here is my new toy. A 110lb Say-Mak forging hammer and me with some hot iron....
2718385501_e5ccd3b4fd_o.jpg

is uni-strut like a sliding rack type deal? Steel? Alluminum?

That would be cool if you could slide things around to setup for a longer/short bike.

On an unrelated note.... here is my new toy. A 110lb Say-Mak forging hammer and me with some hot iron....
2718385501_e5ccd3b4fd_o.jpg
[/quote]

Oh Yes! now this is what we like!....everyone, your garages are awesome! MonsterMetal...yours is like heaven! If i had your garage/shed/shop whatever you want to call it i woudnt need a house :D
That hammer looks like it may have some interesting history? could you tell us any?
Cheers Boris.

Also... budzillacycles.. this thread is mint by the way! cheers! To Add... is there a law....talking maths here! re headstock angle-fork length-and what we call 'trail', I know the basics from me motorcycle days but not that sure of the maths or is it not as important on a cycle?
Boris

Yeah... The horizontal bars are actually uni-strut track ... you loosen the bolts and the whole plate slides in the track. I think If I was to do it over I would try and figure out something that was a bit more precision. Ive been building a few road bikes and it takes a long time to set up really well because there is some slack in the uni-strut...

I needed to come up with a basic inexpensive jig to make my next Burrito build a little more precise than "hows that look?" and ''hold this while I tack it". I had always thought the unistrut idea would be a good way to go,mostly because of the adjustments that could be made. On this I used 6" conduit spacers ,8" bolts and 3 sticks of unistrut. I even have a small crossbar that in theory could hold the BB in place,the BB should be craddeld in the open area of the unistrut. It needs a base,some metal or wood cross pieces to secure it. It folds pretty flat as well. It will be put to the test,and any modifacations made this Sat.
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

This is great! I'll be watching for updates (with maybe some select close-ups . . . pretty please).

Latest posts

Back