How To Cushion Handlebar When You Can't Replace Handgrips?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc27

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1970s Huffy built three-speed bike with a Shimano 333 twist grip shifter and matching handgrip on the non-shifting side. The stock grips offer minimal cushioning. How can I add cushioning and retain the original twist shifting mechanism? Would a foam grip expand enough to fit on the 31 mm diameter shifter? The non-shifting handgrip is approximately 28 mm in diameter. Maybe cushioning tape over the shifter and the non-shifting grip? Thanks for any ideas on this.

Attachments

• handlebars_01.jpg
    handlebars_01.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 96
  • handlebars_02.jpg
    handlebars_02.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 94
  • handlebars_03.jpg
    handlebars_03.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 94
I have a 1970s Huffy built three-speed bike with a Shimano 333 twist grip shifter and matching handgrip on the non-shifting side. The stock grips offer minimal cushioning. How can I add cushioning and retain the original twist shifting mechanism? Would a foam grip expand enough to fit on the 31 mm diameter shifter? The non-shifting handgrip is approximately 28 mm in diameter. Maybe cushioning tape over the shifter and the non-shifting grip? Thanks for any ideas on this.
You can get a cheap pair of foam grips and stretch them over, but I would get a pair of cycling gloves with padding. Good if you ever have a crash too.

1596178126265.png

1. You could get a suspension stem. I got one used, for a threaded fork for 15 bucks. They are however quite long.
The look of a suspension stem is of course not for everybody...
2. So you should try to play with the handlebars and seat position. I had pain in my wrists from my daily bike (which I ride twice for 10 minutes to get to the train station, so no hours long rides) and it only disappeared when I finally found the best for me seat and bars position.

And as a third option a suspension fork (old or modern) is always a solution.

I stumbled across a product called Re-Grip. Kind of like a foam grip that shrinkwraps itself into position. If I can find it locally, I will give it a try.

These are the uses/benefits they list on their website at re-grip.com

Re-Grip is a truly diverse product. The uses are nearly endless. It can be installed on thousands of tools, levers, sporting goods, construction equipment and applications Including:

Tools: Axes, Crowbars, Hammers, Rakes, Ratchets, Shovels, Trowels, Wrenches
Recreation: Bats, Bikes, Fishing Poles, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks, Paddles, Racquets
Construction Equipment: Jackhammers, Levers, Drills, Sledges, Wheelbarrows

That's an innovative product! And, like most innovative products...it's expensive. In my area, $9.00 apiece on clearance.

A few years back, I replaced some Grip-Shift™ cushions that had turned gummy with age. I did it using a modified pair of cheap foam substitutes from China. Getting the material into place was a struggle, no lie, but they looked and worked like new.

User reviews state trimming foam tubes is a challenge - it's hard to get a straight cut. I think I am just going to repurpose grips like those on a jump rope in case the trimming process doesn't go too well.

I got cushions installed today. The cost for the cushions used was $10 for a weighted jump rope from Walmart. The cost could have been $5 for cushions from a weighted jump rope from Dollar General, or $4 for cushions from hand weights from a thrift store, but those were damaged as I learned how to do this. Things I learned were:

1. Cut with a sharp bread knife. That gave me the cleanest, but not quite perfectly straight edge

2. If doing a lot of stretching to get the cushion over the existing grips, soak the cushions in hot water (200 degrees F) for about 1 minute before installing to make them more pliable

3. Don't overstretch, or you will end up tearing the foam. I thought I would loosen up the foam by putting a steel bar (socket wrench extension) in my vice, placing the cushion over the bar, then putting another bar in the cushion and stretching to loosen up the cushion. I stretch too much and tore the foam.

The cushions from the Dollar General jump rope would have worked, but were styled with indented colored rings in the black foam. The indents look nice, but the foam is thinner at the indents,. The foam tore at the indents as I pulled the cushions over the existing grips. I did not warm these grips in hot water prior to installation. They may have installed fine if they had been warmed first.

Here is what the cushions look like on the bike. From the back, you can still see the original white grips, but I am not going to attempt to conceal them. The rider is happy with the bike now, saying the previous hand/wrist discomfort while riding the bike is gone. That was the goal with this experiment, so I am going to quit while I am ahead.

handlebars_04.jpg
handlebars_05.jpg

Latest posts

Back