How to identify year of a stingray wheel??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm started to think of my next build and don't know yet all differences in stingray history.
Mainly interested in pre 66 rays i would like to learn how to differenciate them.

There is certainly the answer somewhere here but can't find it.

Thanks for your help. :wink:

All Stingrays used s2 rear rims and s7 front all the way up till the end in the late 70s early 80s. The only ones that used s7 front and rear were the girls bikes and boys junior stingrays. Fastbacks used s5-s6 rims front and rear.
Almost all schwinn hubs have dates stamped on the hubs to tell the years. I have a few stingrays that were built early in there year but the hubs are dated late the year before for example my jan 74 fastback has late 73 hubs. A coupke of my early stingrays just have schwinn script front hubs with no date also single speed bikes obviously wont have a date on the rear hub as it would be a bendix hub.

I seem to remember the first year StingRays used Cycle Truck front S2 rims and have 36 spokes instead of 28. I may be wrong. How about it Jpromo? Gary

Smoopy's said:
Mr. Kool said:
Thanks for your answer.
No différences in hubs or knurling??
Also for front ones??

I believe early S-2's had double knurling & later ones had the single knurled rim. All S-7's were single knurled in the center

A lot of 1971 bikes had a single knurl S-2 in the rear. (Problem with the rim rolling tooling that year perhaps?) Some of the later ones may have too but I'm not sure there.

All S-7's that I've seen were single knurl. Very early Sting-ray S-7's were center stamped then went to side stamping (Mid 65' I think) later.

Tychevelle said:
All Stingrays used s2 rear rims and s7 front all the way up till the end in the late 70s early 80s.
Smoopy's said:
oh, well, I learned something today..just a note though, you left out a few from your list that used the dual S-7 set-up. ALL single speed Stingrays-The Hornet of the mid 70's & the Stingray II of the late 70's. The Stingray's that used the S-2/S-7 set-up after 1973 were the 3 & 5-Speed models and the Hurricane & Hurricane 5.
So, which is it?

I have a single-speed coaster brake StingRay from June '75, based on the serial number, and when I got it, it had an S-2 rear rim and a gripper slik.

I don't know the history of the bike, but when I bought it , it looked original and unmodified.

The rim I have has been (re) certified as being an S-2. It also had a Gripper Slik on it.

One of the first things I did when I joined this site was give away the rear tire. It was good for display, but not to ride on.

The mystery deepens.

(Actually, it's more likely a case of a previous owner replacing the original rear tire at some point, it's just more fun to call it a "mystery". :mrgreen: )

Latest posts

Back