How to match 3' tires with frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new project to build my own cruiser/rat rod theme bike! I have never done this and needing to know how to make sure the 3 inch 2 speed kick back tires that I like with fit a frame. Not sure how to find the hub size when looking at them online...I need a frame that is'nt painted preferably, I also want to paint my own. And your guys opinion on the 2 speed kick back gearing

Thanks

Welcome aboard!

Are you referring to the 2 speed kickback wheel set offered here from 3G? Have you ever ridden a kickback? I had a old Bendix one I rode a lot, it's great and easy to deal with. The shifting becomes second nature. I ride a 2 speed automatic now, but sometimes wish I had the kickback, you choose when you shift.
The spacing of the hub, where the axle fits into the frame, shouldn't be a problem, as spacers or washers can make up a small difference.
The width and height of the 3" tires are the concern for your frame. Are you buying a new frame or using a old one? If you're getting a new one and can measure everything right there on the spot, that's the best way. But that's expensive, I would hunt on CL for a used bike and go from there. You'll need about 4 inches of spacing between the frame for a good fit on a 3 inch tire, although I've gone with just 1/4 inch spacing. If it's an old frame, you may be able to modify it as long as it's almost big enough to begin with. Maybe on your first build you could use 26 x 2.125 tires, the standard beach cruiser width, just to get familiar with putting one together. The 2 speed wheel set should take those size tires also, so you could go bigger with the tires later.
Posting pics is a great help when explaining something. Or asking about a part or how to do something. There's a build section here that is just for that. Start a thread there when you build your bike.

Yes! I am referring to the 3G 2 speed, in the blue and add the creame colored tires! :thumbsup: I also like the frame on here, Ruff Cycles Lucky V1.0 frame. It dosen't say what size width it is but it dose say it will fit 28' tires. Im still learing so yeah. lol But I like the style and its not painted. Not sure if it is ready to be painted as is or if I need to prime it still. And what about finding a front fork for that frame, don't wanna buy a real fancy one, just one that works for now.

Thanks Wilcat for you input, helps alot!
:)

Latest posts

Back