how to remove a locktited crank nut?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
does anyone know of a way, besides heat, to remove a crank ring nut off of a crank that has locktite on it? i have 2 schwinn giant chainrings and cranks off of exersizer bikes that i have been trying to remove the chain rings so i can use the cranks. i have tried my vice with a big wrench but all i get is knuckle busters...ouch! anyone have a way of removing these?
thx for any ideas.

Heat is the only way I know to get past loctite, instead of a torch though maybe try a few drops of lighter fluid and light it.

maaaan! ive been beating on this thing, on and off, for 2 months, soaking it down with the blaster, now my roommate tells me she has a heatgun:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:wish i would have known that 2 months ago.

maaaan! ive been beating on this thing, on and off, for 2 months, soaking it down with the blaster, now my roommate tells me she has a heatgun:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:wish i would have known that 2 months ago.

I was going to say heat gun/hot air. You might also try one of those Weller Soldering Guns. You may be surprised how hot direct contact with the metal can get. Good with this.

Maybe putting the nut in the vice and turning the crank would work.
You could also cut the race/nut with a grinder. I've taken some seriously tight ones off with a 2' pipe wrench and a pipe to extend the handle. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back