How to tell brake and shifter cables apart

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a few cables and I am not sure if they are shifter or brake cables. Is there an easy way to tell them apart?

If the reinforcing wires under the housing covering run parallel to the cable its index shifter only. If the reinforcement wire winds around the cable in a spiral its brake or friction cable.

Also brake cables use different ends than shifter cables
cable ends.jpg

Here are a few more photos to help explain the differences. What is especially important to note is the difference in housing construction--modern shifter housing is stranded while brake housing is coiled. It is imperative that traditional coiled housing be used with brakes!

Stranded shifter housing is considered 'compressionless' for more accurate shifting, but it is far less strong laterally...there's a chance the sidewall could burst if used with brakes.

cable.jpg

housing.jpg

I have a few cables and I am not sure if they are shifter or brake cables. Is there an easy way to tell them apart?
An easy way is by diameter of the cable. 4mm for shifting, 5mm for braking. It is easy to see by the naked eye. At least all modern ones are this way, i don't know if there were different standards in past.

An easy way is by diameter of the cable. 4mm for shifting, 5mm for braking. It is easy to see by the naked eye. At least all modern ones are this way, i don't know if there were different standards in past.
I was talking about the actual cable not the housing.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back