Hub talk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, who knows hubs? I was out in the back forty with the littleuns, and I thought, "I can pay attention to my spawn, or I could think about rat bikes." Guess which way that shook out?
So, my wife takes bike parts she finds in the trash (and my parts that sit for too long in the same spot in the garage) and decorates the yard. I don't know what I've got out there, so I'm starting a thread. Most have spent a few years outside, so basically, I wanna know if anything is worth rebuilding, or if there are any parts that I should save. Here we go, hopefully my notes wind up with the correct pictures!

IMG_20191026_143452800_HDR.jpg

copper ano Quando w/ 7speed cartridge lacedto Vuelta Crosser 26. The flat blade spokes are pretty cool, but they're missing a lot of paint, and one is gone. Does that rubber boots at the end mean it's sealed? Also, might be double wall, there will be a rim I post later with pictures to clarify that for me.

Last edited:
IMG_20191026_143617642.jpg

Shimano d type coaster laced to HEAVY 20. Like, can't believe how heavy! Heavier than TWO of the previous rim. This is probably the hub that has parts I could use. Is it worth the effort to part or rebuild it?

IMG_20191026_143853690.jpg

Formula fm11 laced to Rigida 700c. Rim feels cheapo, split where they joined the hoop. You can feel the split in the braking surface!
IMG_20191026_145420119_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191026_145432085.jpg

Just wanted to share that, I've never seen a rim so crappy!

Last one- the mystery prize. Identify this, and something is yours! Maybe a cheap, seized hub, laced to a junk rim with rusty spokes by an idiot who thinks he's a bike builder!
IMG_20191026_150122009.jpg

If you take that Shimano apart, be careful aligning the flimsy sheet metal anti-reversion doodad putting the clutch assembly together, easily deformed if out of place. Not much better than the Chinese copies at Walmart.

View attachment 107883
Shimano d type coaster laced to HEAVY 20. Like, can't believe how heavy! Heavier than TWO of the previous rim. This is probably the hub that has parts I could use. Is it worth the effort to part or rebuild it?
I have done the following mod to a few of these Shimano type hubs. Worth doing improves operation greatly.
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/nice-video-about-hot-rodding-your-cb-hub-for-klunking-duty.93356/

When you do this you need to change out the existing caged bearings with loose balls. I have gutted these and cheapo China clones and build new modded coasters with the best parts. Even tiny kids bikes use these hubs so lots of free parts there!

Thanks guys, exactly the information I was looking for on the Shimano. Now I have to convince my wife to give up her decorations! Lol

Latest posts

Back