Huffy Back Water conversion to 27.5 single speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1980s Huffy attempt at a mountain bike. Frame & fork retrieved from the scrap bin. Add a pair of cheap 27.5 wheels in matching color. I replaced the rear hub with a coaster. Ground out the fork to take the larger axle. Change spacing on the hubs so they would fit. Angle grinder to remove the 4 cable stops on the frame and a bit of black spray touch up where the stops were. Angle grinder to remove the rivits on the extra sprockets to keep the middle ring. Sufficient tire clearance. Still needs a chain, brake arm strap, seat post, seat post bolt, bars, grips, headset washer. I'm no fan of coaster brakes on 700c or 27" wheels. Those tires are too skinny for braking on descents.

Nice save. I recently pulled remains of Huffy of similar vintage off a scrap pile. The stem was impossible to remove but saws-all got it off. It's pretty light and the paint is still nice. They are a decent 21" frame size too. :)

It does look like a big BMX. A BMX style fork would be just right for it. Your original fork has a slight backward bend throwing off the geometry a tad.

That a tough looking frame that’s complimented by the 27.5 wheels. I have to agree with wildcat and chuy and put a straight blade bmx fork on it.

One I made,
index.php

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/big-boy-bmx-done.106930/page-4

done.

handles fine but the ride quality suffers from the wide 27.5 tires.

Latest posts

Back