Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Picked up a China Huffy Cranbrook frame. Put some mismatched vintage wheels and tires on it and peeled off the stickers.
before pic.JPG
Rode OK. but wanted to try a "LocoJoe" type chop.
Here it is.
DSCF1810.JPG
DSCF1812.JPG
DSCF1820.JPG

Uhh, got a little carried away with the disc grinder!

DSCF1811.JPG

Memo to self, Next time remove chain guard before tightening strap!

DSCF1813.JPG

Next step try to weld it back up without burning holes with my stick welder!

Last edited:
I love a LocoJoe chop!
I wonder if considering the damage to the top tubes, it wouldn't be better to join them at the seat tube and cut the forward parts off? Going to be a lot of work to repair those cuts in the front area...

Luke.

I love a LocoJoe chop!
I wonder if considering the damage to the top tubes, it wouldn't be better to join them at the seat tube and cut the forward parts off? Going to be a lot of work to repair those cuts in the front area...

Luke.
I cut the messes up tubes off, was gonna replace with some rod stock but did not like the look. then I swapped the tubes around and now it looks like this.
Gonna try welding it up. Took bike for a test ride last night and rode pretty good. Free Mongoose seat is not good fit for me tho...:rofl:
DSCF1822.JPG
DSCF1823.JPG
DSCF1824.JPG
DSCF1825.JPG
DSCF1827.JPG
DSCF1828.JPG

Cool HF. I want to try that LJChop like that.
the chain- stays actually bend 'up' right?.... giving the appearance of the seat moved way down like that.

yesterday I picked up a OP Roller cruiser for chump change, less than the cost of a tire at WallMart
I din't know it's all aluminum frame till I got it home..d my toy welder won't weld aluminum.
back to bolt on if I do it on that one, but, I might just fix and flip.

I have an older Huffy Hermosa beach cruiser with tons o' character., maybe on that one.... hmmmm....ya got me thinking now....
:39:

Yes, It's really fun to "mess" with a frame design.
DSCF1836.JPG

Because I ground the heck out of the canti tubes removing the welds to the top tube, I cut 'em off. Was going to use some steel rod to replace the tubes, then I flipped them around and liked the look.
DSCF1838.JPG
DSCF1839.JPG
DSCF1837.JPG

Only have an old ac stick welder and gotta be careful working with the thin stuff. :p

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations." I suggest you work your design ideas, tack the tubes, then take it to a professional for the final welding.

I have done some primer and bondo on the welds.
DSCF1847.JPG
DSCF1848.JPG

Changed the seat and post.
DSCF1896.JPG
DSCF1898.JPG
DSCF1899.JPG
DSCF1900.JPG

Rides a little different, but pretty comfortable.:thumbsup:

Thanks! Most amazing thing is looking for a comfortable seat for the home made lay back seat post. I picked up a used Wilderness trail bikes seat at a swap this spring for $5 and tried it on a Schwinn Collegate and did not like it at all. But on this bike with the pedals forward it's comfy.:)

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations." I suggest you work your design ideas, tack the tubes, then take it to a professional for the final welding.
Just had to reply about the welds. I know they are ugly but if you notice I placed a thick steel bar ahead of the seat tube and tied the canti tubes going down to the drop outs here.
index.php

All welds are under compression and it is not going anywhere. Used short steel rods to join the forward canti rods to the rear ones but they are more decorative than structural. If any of my welds are critical I back them up with a mechanical fastener. Finally I test the finished product on a 5 mile gravel road! :whistle:

Found some navy blue matte finish rustoleum to refinish some paint, added beige 2 tone, added more rust.
DSCF1942.JPG
DSCF1945.JPG
DSCF1946.JPG
DSCF1947.JPG
DSCF1948.JPG

Found cool old blue seat at swap.
DSCF1949.JPG

Added Hawthorne chainguard and old JC Higgins pedals.
DSCF1950.JPG

Welded bolt to kickstand for stability.:)
DSCF1951.JPG
Gotta get a better S7 tire for the rear that one is really looking scary.:eek:

Swapped in some better old tires Schwinn s7 rear, Goodyear Thunderbolt GT front.
DSCF1992.JPG
Lubed front axle and rear Bendix.
DSCF1986.JPG

Added swap meet generator headlight... :)
DSCF1994.JPG

So I'm riding this bike and a weird rattle when peddling. Greased the hubs, still have the noise. Oil the pedals, still rattles! Could not remember if I greased the bottom bracket when I picked up the frame. Because crank spun free and no slop I did not worry about it. Finally bit the bullet and opened it up - NO GREASE AT ALL! With grease the rattle is gone.:grin:

Latest posts

Back