Huffy Nel Lusso Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

This is my first official Rat Rod build after lurking around here for a long time and finally joining the forum. I am very excited to be a part of this excellent group of people and I hope you all enjoy my build!

The Subject: A brand new Huffy Nel Lusso! I was drawn to it because of the welded on rack and the cool Brick colored tires

The plan: Make this bike one bad mutha..."shut yo mouth!" I'm talking about my Huffy! All Shaft jokes aside, I want to make this bike an all season daily driver commuter that looks great, rides great, and is something different! So the plans are as follows:
-Different Handlebars (I love cruiser style bikes but I don't like cruiser bars personally)
-Removable wooden crate for grocery runs
-Winter wheels
-Possibly a different saddle
-Different pedals

That's it for now but the list will grow and shrink as I accomplish goals and continue to dream :D

EDIT: I can already check one thing off the list and that is different handlebars! I got a flat handlebar from a local shop used for $8 and some plain black grips today after work!

I will continue to update the status of the bike and any changes made! They will probably be slow and periodic changes as I have a wedding to pay for right now, but bikes are thankfully much less expensive than cars (my other love)

An update on the direction I'm going with the bike:
Today after work I went for a ride to my workplace to see if commuting would be feasible for me and I'm happy to say it's a beautiful ride! Rochester is a very bike friendly town! This makes me very excited and I plan to start riding to work next week. However I'm definitely going to need a different saddle as the cruiser saddle just isn't working with the stance of the bike when I'm riding it so something more commuter friendly is needed. If you guys have any suggestions on what would be a good saddle that is a little slimmer but maintains the comfort and classic looks I'm all ears!

I know I'm not much of a ratrodder but I do know touring bikes. May I suggest you try WTB saddles. I'm using what they call "speed v" I have found it to fit my bum. I have used Brooks saddles it took a long time for it to break in. (don't know if it was my saddle or my bum that broke in first)

Is the chain guard ribed?
as in ridges pressed into the metal? then yes it is indeed ribbed

I know I'm not much of a ratrodder but I do know touring bikes. May I suggest you try WTB saddles. I'm using what they call "speed v" I have found it to fit my bum. I have used Brooks saddles it took a long time for it to break in. (don't know if it was my saddle or my bum that broke in first)
Thank you very much for the suggestion it is very much appreciated! It looks like a super comfy seat

I have the same bike but with cream colored tires. First thing I did was replace the bars, still trying to find a better seat.

I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Not sure of the bars,they are aluminum road bike bars I got at a swap meet. I painted them copper along with the rest of the bike.
There is a pic in the thread the falstaff collection, some reason can't post photos from my phone.

Not sure of the bars,they are aluminum road bike bars I got at a swap meet. I painted them copper along with the rest of the bike.
There is a pic in the thread the falstaff collection, some reason can't post photos from my phone.
Oh right I knew I had seen that before while lurking around! haha that's a beautiful bike!

Oh right I knew I had seen that before while lurking around! haha that's a beautiful bike!
Thanks,it's currently disassembled as I used the wheels and chain for the two wheeled version if Artemus. I'll get it back together at some point.

OK folks another update! I have officially been using the bike for commuting for two days now and I am really enjoying it! We are expecting rain tomorrow so I figured I would take the opportunity to get some better pedals by tomorrow so my feet don't slide off the cheap plastic huffy ones.

I visited the same bike shop I got the handlebars from because I really like the place and told the guy I was looking for better pedals and possibly a new saddle. He asked what kind of bike it was and what I was using it for and he grabbed, oddly enough, the exact pedals I was gonna go for! haha some bmx style platform pedals with removable spikes. They are almost exactly the same as the pedals I had on my BMX bike before I sold it and I loved those.

Also a few days ago I got an inexpensive headlight/taillight combo for those days when its dark early in the morning and when I have to go in early. I installed both the lights and the pedals after getting back from the bike shop tonight and I am very happy with the way they perform!

Here are a couple of photos!

My beautiful fiance also stopped by and she wanted to take it for a spin! I lowered the seat all the way down for her but her poor little legs still had issues hitting the ground haha but she loves the way it looks and wants her own cruiser now :inlove: :heart::grin: (I smell a wedding gift!)

I snapped some pics of her riding it!

and my personal favorite!

She may need a 24"
Agreed,doesn't have to be a lusso but 24" might fit better.

Also just want to say you've got a keeper,you found one that likes to ride. Now all you you have to do is get her building.... I wonder how that competition would go.:39:

She may need a 24"
Agreed,doesn't have to be a lusso but 24" might fit better.

Also just want to say you've got a keeper,you found one that likes to ride. Now all you you have to do is get her building.... I wonder how that competition would go.:39:

You guys are absolutely right! haha And we already knew that, but she really wanted to ride it :) but she isn't as mechanically inclined as myself so I would end up building it for her (which I have no problem with!)

If i get her a bike though I would want it to be either vintage or of a better quality. Don't get me wrong I love my huffy, but it definitely has a lot of weak spots that I can see being a problem in the future i.e. the rear hub and the cranks. I had to laugh a little, after I told the guy at the bike shop what I was riding to work he said "you're a young guy with strong legs and you will probably end up riding that bike into the ground in about 6 months. You should really get something better."

Of course he then showed me all of the nice, new commuter bikes they had and while they would definitely be more comfortable and last longer, I wouldn't have as many opportunities to get my hands dirty! haha

Glad your Huffy is working out for you. I bet you have spent much more time and money on it than 99% of the wally world bikes that end up on Craigslist or the dumpsters. It's sad some of the bikes get junked for lack of a tube! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back