HUFFY SUPER STOCK BUILD OFF 2016

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint has been slapped. I wasn't going to reveal the colors since Jesse was being so cryptic, however, now that I've painted it I'm not sure how I feel about it, so I'm posting it for opinions. That's a burnt bronze on the front, and a matched Huffy blue on the body.
My mind was toying with an ice blue in the body and that Huffy blue faded on either end.
So... What do you think.

2Dqeer.jpg

Need to see it out in the sun.

You always do kind of funky colored fades though and they always turn out great. Blue on blue would be sweet but might be a little subtle for a CRASH build?

I agree we want to see it in the sunlight but I like it. It's a nice paint job, I really like fade paint jobs.

I picked it up today. (I let it sit overnight in the booth) They had moved it outside to the sun all day till I grabbed it at 1:30pm. In the sun it really pops. The blue is absolutely gorgeous, as is the bronze (Which I put on my Rail).

My son likes it, so that's the real key. I'm sure it will relax as a shocking color once I get all the chrome on it.

Here we go! Here's what I'm starting with. The rustiest junk ever. 1969 (Did they make any other years? LOL) Huffy Super Stock V made in California.

RY7nuS.jpg

7xBavR.jpg

2Rwrn5.jpg

mDpcBy.jpg

aoxJEh.jpg

YNIyKW.jpg

IYc86p.jpg

I like that lime green! It reminds me of a '70 'Cuda! Yes, they made other years beside '69 lol I parted a girls' '72 Super Stock once!

Its really long too, and chrome.

I'm working through a few last minute things on my Super Stock and thought I would post a black and white not totally complete collage of the bike so far with just a little color. I should hopefully have mine buttoned up this week and will post full color pics then, no earth shaking reasons I'm just not ready to post the color yet because I have a little more work on the paint to do.

O.K. I'm finally done with my Huffy Super Stock V, I know it's no where near of a challenge that Crash had with his entry especially considering what he started with so I will tip my hat to him up front, he had a much higher degree of difficulty than I did. But here is my entry . . .

The Story:
So I bought this bike from a guy in California at a great price about a year and a half ago with the intention of restoring it but other projects kept getting put ahead of it. The seller told me he got it for his 12th birthday and only rode it one summer before he decided he was too old for a bike like this so his dad put it in his garage attic where he found it some 45 years later lying flat between blankets. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get that red/white tape off the bike let alone the painted parts he put it on, the decals were some kind of a thick commercial grade reflective tape you would find on construction equipment, it took me about two weeks to get it all removed.

After I broke the bike down to prep it for paint I kept looking at how unmolested it appeared, just a couple chips and scratches but the paint was kind of dull. I just couldn’t bring myself to strip it down to bare metal and repaint it so I went to my buddy that paints show cars and asked him what I could do to bring the paint back. You can’t really bring it back to its original but I could come close he said, the best way would be to use a rubbing compound he recommended, said it would remove the dirt out of the paint but would also remove paint so I had to take my time and be careful. You can see the the cloth I used on the bike, I took several days working it trying not to overdo it. That’s the reason I didn’t want to show the paint job, I wanted to be satisfied with how it looked plus if in case I wore paint off and ruined it and then would have to end up repainting it.

So finally here it is reassembled all original as it came to me after I broke it down, cleaned, polished, rebuilt some parts, but obviously had to replace the rotted tires, seat, brake pads, and added the 48” sissy bar and pad. I couldn't get the other sissy bar chromed in time so I went with this frame bolt on 48". I went out and rode it today and got some good comments on it, I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do.

Last edited:
Wow that came out nice! Great job bringing the paint back without damaging it. Seat and sissy pad are a perfect color match. Very nicely done...:thumbsup:

Tonight I've come to a decision. After talking to my son, who this bike is for, he said: "I really like the blue, but I don't like the gold with it." I asked him if I put that blue on the outside, and shot an ice blue (like a mid-60's muscle car model he has) in the middle, would he like that. He'd like that a LOT. So...

I can't finish by the 30th. I'm going to repaint the frame and fork.

Latest posts

Back