BO15 I Can't Afford the Gas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a strand / BMX cruiser using a Schwinn Speedster camelback frame, but @ParkRNDL posted his first, so I will graciously concede that idea to him. I think they may have been too similar.
So! I've decided to tackle this 59' Schwinn Spitfire for a rat build. After all, as many have already noted, it IS the year of the rat. And, after thinking of ideas for it, I've embraced plan "B" as my new plan "A."
IMG_3889.jpeg

Awwww shucks. There's plenty of room for camelbacks in this build-off. That said, that Spitfire makes for a great starting point too...

Leaving the green and white??

Something about that color combo just does it for me!

Awwww shucks. There's plenty of room for camelbacks in this build-off. That said, that Spitfire makes for a great starting point too...

Good. And thanks. I picked up a Speedster camelback saturday am and it has me inspired.
Rick

That is a killer color combo.

Today could be a big parts acquisition day for “I Can’t Afford the Gas.” Photo updates at 11:00! Or whenever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I began to attack the wheels. I’m planning to keep the rims, use a different hub, and new spokes. To me, nothing freshens up wheels like new spokes.
cff088ccdd8096c9d4cc62baaf66073c.jpg

The spokes were seized up and so rusty that they just snapped when I turned the spoke wrench, so I ended up cutting them all with my Dremel / grinding wheel.
b3d8429ba739c31137bb21b7b899744b.jpg

Dry as a bone inside the hub.
bfa3e7824482ec19228aa87d8a3ab38e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB blaster and a blow torch lighter world have save the OG spokes. Ive done it, to the detriment of my mind :21:

I like the rims with the striping. Great patina too

Latest posts

Back