I Need A Decent Work Stand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here it is:

00E0E_di6c9LTjahu_600x450.jpg

01616_cvz5HgzbH4a_600x450.jpg

I have that stand...same color too. This is an older stand that works well for most bikes. The clamp head is the weak link. There are only 2 settings for tube diameters. I will fit most except 13/16" Schwinn seatpost and really large tubing on some Wallyworld bikes. Also heavy bikes may cause the head to twist a bit. The other drawback is not being height adjustable. But I like it and the price is right.

That stand is 20 years old according to this article. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/generational-changes-in-repair-stands#article-section-1

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on that Craigslist one. Anyone use either of the ones I posted the links to?

I don't know anything about them either. So I am watching this thread too. I've always built using a hook in the garage rafters...
At the LBS they build with a stand hanging from the ceiling. No tubing underfoot to trip on. I'd like to see something like that.

Carl.

I lucked into one of these about two years ago for the princely sum of $150, but it had a lot of Park tools included in the deal. The seller even delivered it for me! It's stable and I can even move it while the bike's attached--how cool is that?

PRS-13.jpg

I am old, got no peripheral, vision and would trip over the tripod or other extended legs on the models I have looked at. Part of the problem is dancing around the too many bikes I have in my shop. I would like a bike stand that is welded to a flat steel plate. I always liked Park tools but some of the last few I have purchased have been junk. They were replacements Park tools I bought in the 60s or 70s and wore them out. My new Park chain breaker always results in a busted chain and the 3 piece square crank arm puller no longer has an end for the French threading. I am reluctant to buy a Park stand because of this. Currently I use a modified engine stand or hang frames from the rafters to assemble them. Any one have any ideas? I wonder if a heavy duty bench stand could be welded to square tubing that was welded to a flat steel plate?

I am old, got no peripheral, vision and would trip over the tripod or other extended legs on the models I have looked at. Part of the problem is dancing around the too many bikes I have in my shop. I would like a bike stand that is welded to a flat steel plate. I always liked Park tools but some of the last few I have purchased have been junk. They were replacements Park tools I bought in the 60s or 70s and wore them out. My new Park chain breaker always results in a busted chain and the 3 piece square crank arm puller no longer has an end for the French threading. I am reluctant to buy a Park stand because of this. Currently I use a modified engine stand or hang frames from the rafters to assemble them. Any one have any ideas? I wonder if a heavy duty bench stand could be welded to square tubing that was welded to a flat steel plate?
What I saw at the LBS would work fine for you and it's what I want to do too. The stand hung down from the ceiling. I could probably make something like that, with a little light fabrication. Maybe a heavy hinge at the top so you could swing it up out of the way and pin it up. Just need to find the clamping head for a bike stand.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

What I saw at the LBS would work fine for you and it's what I want to do too. The stand hung down from the ceiling. I could probably make something like that, with a little light fabrication. Maybe a heavy hinge at the top so you could swing it up out of the way and pin it up. Just need to find the clamping head for a bike stand.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...
great idea.

great idea.
Thanks and although I haven't looked lately I believe you can get the clamping head and mount by themselves. It shouldn't be too hard to fab something up, if you have the actual clamping unit in hand. Hanging from the ceiling? Cool thing I saw at my LBS. Putting it on a hinge to be able to swing up and store out of the way? Just seems to make sense. I'll be trying to build myself one soon.

30 seconds on Ebay and I see a bunch on complete stands for about 40 bucks or less. Sure they've got tripod legs to get in the way. But we'll cut them off and use a good pipe clamp onto an overhead beam in the garage for a quick and easy stand with nothing underfoot. Now hinging it will take a little more thought, but there's the seeds...

Carl.

Last edited:
Thanks and although I haven't looked lately I believe you can get the clamping head and mount by themselves. It shouldn't be too hard to fab something up, if you have the actual clamping unit in hand. Hanging from the ceiling? Cool thing I saw at my LBS. Putting it on a hinge to be able to swing up and store out of the way? Just seems to make sense. I'll be trying to build myself one soon.

30 seconds on Ebay and I see a bunch on complete stands for about 40 bucks or less. Sure they've got tripod legs to get in the way. But we'll cut them off and use a good pipe clamp onto an overhead beam in the garage for a quick and easy stand with nothing underfoot. Now hinging it will take a little more thought, but there's the seeds...

Carl.
I like the idea. THanks a lot.

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PC...72176391&sr=8-9&keywords=bike+stand+park+tool

But I have a very stable work bench.

Pro - no legs to trip over. It's a Park. Easy to sell if you change Hobbies. Very stable, if you need to get nasty with a wrench, the stand does not "give". It can be mounted on a heavy Post. My work bench and tool wall is right there in reach. I can leave a bike in it and swivel it up against the bench to get it out of the way and get the car in the garage.

Con - You can't move it out in the driveway on a nice day. You can only work on one side of the bike without removing and turning the bike around, which I don't find all that bad, the stand usually gets in your way on the back side anyway.

Originally I wished I had spent a few bucks more and bought a free-standing Park. Now that I'm used to it, I like it.

Read the reviews on Amazon. Some people have created some clever mounts for vices and B&D Workmates.

If you can come up with a clamp, you can always mount it on a car rim with concrete poured into it. Common mount for grinder stand in workshops.

I've thought about a 45 degree triangle screwed to the wall welded up from square tube.

I have a square tube welded to my table at a different shop, vice, and a couple other tools are mounted to square tube that drops in and pins with trailer hitch. Very quick and easy. It would work well for a bike mount.

Any ideas on a simple cheap clamp that will rotate? Weld and fab is no issue.

Latest posts

Back