I probably shouldn't, but .......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out looking for something in my garage today and I ran across this. It was one of Rat Rod's early attempts at painting - or maybe pinstriping :D

He was in college at the time and had a Nissan Hardbody pickup truck - lowered, of course, with fancy wheels and wide tires. I was into street rods at the time, so that also had some influence on him - which you can see in the painting.

I thought the forum members would get a kick out of seeing his early work!!

IMG_0839.jpg

Well, his truck was actually blue - almost the color of the socket set box that he was playing around with.

Back then pink pinstriping or pink neon tubes or graphics on the side of your car was cool!!

Then again, it could be that the only paint we had laying around to play with was pink!! haha.

ok I must admit I also had a slammed mini-truck in 1990 an S-10 convertible (removable hardtop) white with pink and purple stripes
I had atleast 25k invested and i think i got like 9k out of it a year later
and as I am watching the Barret Jackson auction on the speed channel I realize how much money I totally let slip theough my hands over the years

I always wonder where the people come from that go to those auctions. Obviously money is no object for them.

Problem is that drives up the "perceived" value of old cars and then everyone wants an arm and a leg for them.

It's fun to watch, though, just to see what stuff shows up to be sold!

the pricing is insane my brother inlaw just sold his 68 shelby gt 500 clone with a super cobra jet 428 for 85k .... last year he bought a dodge challenger 440 r/t all original but very very rusty pulled it out of the barn full of mice and raccoons... but it was original engine transmission wheels ect
he gave 10grand and put it on ebayand 7 days later a guy from california sent him a check for 23,000 ... not bad for a weeks work lol

That's the kind of deal to make .... money for just finding it and moving it on to someone else.

Most of us would do like you did on your pickup and sink a ton into it and then sell it for half of what you put into it.

Fortunately it's always fun, so that helps compensate for the work and money.

As Rat Rod convinced me, though, bikes are a lot cheaper to play with than cars! And almost as much fun - plus you don't come in the house smelling like gas!

xddorox said:
No plates, no insurance, no getting pulled over every week and you can park those things anywhere. 8)

Yeah but I still missing working on an old pickup. The smell of a greasy engine, exhaust and the power you have when that 283ci '59 chevrolet pickup hits the road! cant find that in a bicycle.

Hey, DD, speaking of Chevy V8's, I still have a small block (305 Cu In) in my garage that came out of Rat Rod's first car - a 1978 Monte Carlo.

We were going to junk the MC so we pulled the motor to use in a Malibu station wagon I had that came with a V6 - only to find out that the motor mounts were different on the V8 and they somehow bolted them in from inside the crossmember so you couldn't change them easily. So the V6 stayed and the small block followed me around now for the past 16 or 17 years.

Unfortunately I didn't need it for anything and it's too heavy to do anything with, so now it just sits in the garage and gathers dust. Heck, it may even be frozen up by now.

Maybe I can throw a piece of glass on it and make a coffee table out of it! Or how about a V8 powered Schwinn.

Nice Pink Lines RR..

good little Graphic though!

and yes,I had a 1990 Madzda B2200 SLAMEd with 16'6 American racing wheels..
I also had a Removable Hard Top as well..it was a Kit from California popular way back..leaked like like Strainer Cloth..

but it got me a Few dates....and by dates I mean DATES! 8)

it was fun!

hahaha man mine leaked so bad and if you met a semi truck on the highway it felt like the cab was gonna lift off! :shock: nibe was lowered 8 inches from stock and had 245vr50-14 tires on it lol they were like 11 inches wide and very short about an inch of rubber! man what was I thinking? oh wait I had wierd al yankovick hair at the time too!

oh and I tried one of those eastwood starter kits for striping and lettering..... boy I trashed my white granada work car practicing! lol it was so bad... they kit said all you need is a steady hand.... shortly after I was diagnoses with Parkinson's disease so now I know why my lines were horrible! lol

Latest posts

Back