I was at that swap meet...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't looking for a bike at Wethersfield, but this old BSA called to me. I think I might swap out the parts from the Hercules build, which is too small for me, onto this frame, which is just right, and keep her. No idea what year and there are no markings left on the wheels or hub. Doesn't much matter....Every bike might be my new favorite.
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG

It was also fun to get some notice for the old Raleigh path racer I cruised on, even in the ocean of American chrome. It's always good when the tribe gathers.

It's 1960 or later, built by the same company that made your Hercules, if it's also 60 or later. I like the BSA badge also. All your parts should be interchangeable so you have spare parts also. I had a Robin Hood ladies bike that looked like your frame, and the black paint came back and shined up like new. I used car wax and gave it 3 coats.
The hub shell of the SA 3 speed will have a 2 digit date code on it. I've never seen one worn away. Here's a 54 model:
images

I know where the code should be, but the chrome is blistered off just where the stamp was....never see that happen. There's also almost no finish left on the crankset. I'm not sure I'll salvage much from this bike but the frame and fork, but I'm pretty sure when I swap my parts over I'll be able to get my $25 back from the Hercules frame with it's chrome thimble crown fork.

My plan was to gently clean the bike and hit it with linseed oil, but if the paint might come back I'd be thrilled. What did you use to de-rust your frame? I'd love a picture.

Ken

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back