Identifying prewar Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed King

More traction more action
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
dx2.JPG
Educating myself on the prewar Schwinns because I am looking to purchase. How can you determine year of the bike? I have the serial # but it comes up as a 52 with the Schwinn tool search.
Were bikes with an Excelsior head badge only made pre war? Assuming its the original head badge. Thanks

Last edited:
I believe it’s older than that, there’s a few sites I looked at to determine the year of my old Schwinn, post the serial # and a few more pics of the whole bike and members could help you out.

Excelsior was a brand name for a Schwinn made bike, the Schwinn of the same year usually is identical. Your kickstand is bolt on. The built-in kickstand came out in 46, so yours is probably prewar. As I just read in the above post also!
Here's a 37 Excelsior, same style of white trim and forks/ truss rods.
17371mb.jpg

Also as stated above, pulling the cranks may be the surest way to get the date. It looks like the original chain wheel, so the cranks are probably original too. Just guessing.

This is my prewar Excelsior frame with badge. Looks the same.. Late 30's, not sure exactly.
IMG_3849.JPG

Latest posts

Back