I'm surprised this hasn't shown up here yet...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty good deal!

$700 shipped buys you an aluminum fat boy with 27 speed Shimano and Hydraulic disk brakes front and rear and better rubber and geometry to the Walgoose.

fb4_comp_(2)_500.jpg

RIGHT?! Apparently according to some other threads (mainly the one at MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/moto-b ... 75900.html) they see to be a knock off of a company in the Netherlands (?). The manufacturing company seems to have sold BD the plans and BD took it from there. Either way, I own a couple Motobecanes (and yes one of them is actually a French Motobecane) and I've been more than pleased so far. But of course the jury is still out on their latest offerings. I'm anxious to see when these start actually popping up the wild. The mid-range one is especially tempting, not to mention the black bad-assery :D

fb4_elite_500.jpg

prices went up already.

rickpaulos said:
prices went up already.

The prices still show $695 $895 and $995
Were they even cheaper than that?

didn't see the third off the right of my low rez screen.

Just saw one in the bike rack out side work. Here are some photos.

fyi: I have a Beast and a Moonlander at home (bottom feeder to high end) for comparison.

Looks pretty decent all around. Except for the one issue I see right away are the rims. First, it looks odd that the rear rim has a single line of holes, the front has double holes. Well, the holes in the rims are a problem to me. They will let all kinds of water, mud, slush, etc in if you ever ride the bike in water, snow, mud, etc. The Beast rims are not double wall so drilling holes in them won't cause the same problem. Actually drilling holes in beast rims is rather pointless as they aren't all that heavy to start with. Beast tires and tubes, cranks, rear hub, stem, etc weigh a ton and are better targets for weight reduction. I'd bet these double wall rims are heavier than Beast rims due to more material, even with the holes. And once you fill them with water, mud, snow, ice, etc, they will be far heavier. Well any fat bike rim will collect mud and snow but having go inside the rim is even worse. I think I'd replace the rims if I got one and used it in the winter. I'd go with a solid and smooth rim.

Oh yeah, a presta valve warning for those of you who can't figure them out.

bunch of photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpaulos ... 659582716/

10331373656_19cd100823_b.jpg

rickpaulos said:
Just saw one in the bike rack out side work. Here are some photos.

fyi: I have a Beast and a Moonlander at home (bottom feeder to high end) for comparison.

Looks pretty decent all around. Except for the one issue I see right away are the rims. First, it looks odd that the rear rim has a single line of holes, the front has double holes. Well, the holes in the rims are a problem to me. They will let all kinds of water, mud, slush, etc in if you ever ride the bike in water, snow, mud, etc. The Beast rims are not double wall so drilling holes in them won't cause the same problem. Actually drilling holes in beast rims is rather pointless as they aren't all that heavy to start with. Beast tires and tubes, cranks, rear hub, stem, etc weigh a ton and are better targets for weight reduction. I'd bet these double wall rims are heavier than Beast rims due to more material, even with the holes. And once you fill them with water, mud, snow, ice, etc, they will be far heavier. Well any fat bike rim will collect mud and snow but having go inside the rim is even worse. I think I'd replace the rims if I got one and used it in the winter. I'd go with a solid and smooth rim.

Oh yeah, a presta valve warning for those of you who can't figure them out.

bunch of photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpaulos ... 659582716/

10331373656_19cd100823_b.jpg

It's easy enough to drill it out a bit and replace the tubes. Or there are always the little adapters. To me Presta valves are just a pain in the butt.

Oy yeah,
rear rim measures about 3 & 3/8" wide(~86mm) ,
front rim is about 4" wide (~102mm).

The specs at Bike Direct are not clear on that:

RIM FRT 1 ALLOY RIM, 26"x3.0-4 1/4", 14Gx32H, F/V, W/BIG HOLE(28mm), FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK,
RIM RR 1 ALLOY RIM, 26"x3.0-4 1/4", 14Gx32H, F/V, W/BIG HOLE(28mm), 11.5mm, FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK

Is there slicks you can get for these bikes?

I haven't seen any yet in 3.7 to 4+ wide tires.

Latest posts

Back