Impossible which bike do I ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I'm Tom out in the southern CA desolate Hi Desert. Is there that somewhere if you had the time you like to get out and ride. I've found it extra special to drive 2 hour an get on the water front down by the sea. Pass by other bikers to where there is some kind of life compared to the back roads where I reside. How do you deside which bike to ride?

Personally, I stand there staring at all of them. Scratch my chin a little bit, and think do I want people stopping me to ask what it is or where I got it. Or would I prefer a couple "cool bike" comments as I ride.

Then I look at all my bikes some more and think why does anyone need this many bikes, and why haven't I finished all these projects.

Personally, I stand there staring at all of them. Scratch my chin a little bit, and think do I want people stopping me to ask what it is or where I got it. Or would I prefer a couple "cool bike" comments as I ride.

Then I look at all my bikes some more and think why does anyone need this many bikes, and why haven't I finished all these projects.

I usually grab a tallbike I keep locked to the porch, but then I like to go for my most recent build or an older bike or... ah, you got me. I don’t even know now.

I know that on Sunday I went for a ride with my son and younger daughter and a neighbor kid and I took my old Gary Fisher MTB that I’ve recently converted to a rigid single speed. Next time, who knows. Probably tallbike again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the length and kind of ride. I usually go for the USAAF bike for its versatility comfort, and that cars give a more respectful distance (it's strikingly different). I think with the military theme, my usual drab color palette, and the olive or sand boonie hat I wear for sun protection people assume I'm a vet so, while I'll get compliments, they don't bother me too much. I'm an odd duck in that I build these attention-getting things, yet don't actually want to talk to people! The rocket bike gets distant thumbs up, but I suspect their suspicions about the kind of weirdo who'd ride such a thing keeps them from initiating conversation. Interrobang gets the most approaches because it looks something like a 50s ballooner to most people (but not a "Pee Wee Herman" bike) and that's a positive enough association for people to think I'm a friendly badger. And few people notice my antique Iver Johnson or the newer "Iver Johnson" road bike at all. It's good that I live in New England, I guess, as we keep conversation with strangers to a minimum. When I went to school in Detroit, people were friendlier and I'd smile and respond while readying myself for action and looking around for handy weapons any time some weirdo just randomly started a conversation because here people just don't talk to strangers in an elevator at 3 AM (or 2 PM for that matter) unless they're trying to sell you something or themselves and I ain't buying people—in my experience, they're way overpriced.

(I'm not actually as misanthropic as this makes me sound.)

Latest posts

Back