JC Higgins crankset value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
chrghiggins.jpg

Found a guy that has one of these crank sets (both arms and chain ring)
I'm thinking it would make a cool item for my wall.
He said make an offer and he'd let me know.
Im not going to offer much but would like an idea of value because I can't find any for sale for refference.

Thanks.

Not that it matters, but I gave $15 for mine but it didn't have both arms, and it wasn't in as good of shape as that one seems to be. Usually, once I want something price doesn't really matter... I've overpaid on tons of stuff!

Actually, it would be cooler on a bike than your wall!

Rg

Thanks.
That's just an example picture lol.
The set he has looks in decent shape tho.
Think I'll offer $5 and see what he says.

Would be cool on a bike but until I find one that uses those style crank arms they would be cool on the wall.

I was wondering how you managed to get that to work.
What keeps the ring from spinning (keeper pin wise) or did you just crank it super tight and hope the ring won't spin.

chrghiggins.jpg

Found a guy that has one of these crank sets (both arms and chain ring)
I'm thinking it would make a cool item for my wall.
He said make an offer and he'd let me know.
Im not going to offer much but would like an idea of value because I can't find any for sale for refference.

Thanks.
That pic shows a cottered style crank and sprocket. The arm and sprocket are one piece, probably from one of the Austrian made J C Higgins bikes. That would fit on an old English 3 speed or whatever uses cottered cranks. In the early 60's J C Higgins were then badged as Sears, who sold the bikes previously, so there are Sears Austrian made bikes that used cottered cranks also.
It would look good as a wall hanging in the house or shop, as would an American style J C Higgins sprocket.

So I got the crankset.

I swing by the guys garage and
he said "what's your offer?"
I said "$5"
He said "$6"
Being a smartie I said "$4"
He came back with "$2"
So I said "$1"
He said "Free; here you go" and handed me the crankset
I said "seriously?"
He said "Yes I think you'll do something with them & I'll just leave them in this garage; so enjoy"

Needs a little cleaning but not bad IMHO.

4yde9uqe.jpg

Free is great!

Once you grind out off the inside part of the crank you can drive it out of the sprocket splines with a drift punch, file the points of off the splines and stick a one piece crank thru. It won't go all of the way but you will see where the interference is with the opc keeper pin. grind that area out with a pencil grinder, and viola! Fits like a glove and doesn't slip!

Good luck, Rg

Just got home and did a quick soap & water cleaning to the crankset and wow it shines.
Its got pits & scuffs in the chrome but it looks good. Had trouble getting pics but here it is after a quick bath.
me9ava7a.jpg

eru3a2es.jpg

upuqute6.jpg

And on my wall
ydygarap.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back