Joannou Model De Luxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some info on the bike/trike that brought me to this site...

I've had it for a while and always wanted to work on it, but never made the time. Well, I'm making the time now...

I'm just curious if anyone knows much about it. A little online research left me a little underwhelmed as far as rarity, value, history, etc. I just don't want to start tearing down the bike to customize it to my liking if its more of a restore project.

Any info would be appreciated.

joannou.jpg

Yeah, I've been seeing a couple of these, but I landed on your thread, if you're still following it, through a Google search of all things.

The one pictured is one of the most modern looking ones I've seen, primarily because I think this green color is very 70s or 80s.

Otherwise, yours looks very much like the only one I have seen up close.
IMG_0689.JPG

This one has been sandblasted and repainted rattlecan red by an old buddy of mine who shops bikes in flea markets, reconditions them, and resells them. His interest is strictly puttering around for fun and turning over bikes for a modest profit. None of his stuff gets properly restored, but his bikes do all go back into daily use by someone.

I thought it was interesting that the front half of the frame looks to be lugged, while the back triangle is bolted together. The seat stays are bolted at the seat post and where the rear dropouts would be if it was a bike.

IMG_0690.JPG

The whole rear end assembly seems a bit frail to my eye.

We have tons of trikes in SW Florida. I've developed a keen interest and have started logging some photos and facts as I come across models I haven't seen. I've seen several CL ads for Joanna and Johanna trikes. I was starting to think maybe it was a Dutch brand. My bud Ray tells me this is an Italian machina. I've just started researching, and I think it's a New Jersey company that had these made offshore somewhere.

Here's a link: http://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_results.cgi?comp=howiebik&part=Cat-J 720 1973

joannou.JPG

nothing.gif

Heres a rare one for you. Its an old Ashtabula. I rescued it from someone who had made a yard flower planter out of it. It had 26 inch back wheels and a 24 front. All factory. Story is that Trailmate bought out Ashtabula years ago. Note how the frame resembles the Regal. It was very cool but I sold it.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Back