Kalawang Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalawang (kha-lha-whang, pronounced like Khan) - rust in Filipino

After a botched transaction last week from a moto-bike seller I was feeling all bummed out. However karma was on my side this week and scored this baby for $18 ! The young guy who sold it to me was going to go fixie, which is all the rage with the kids these days. Good for me :). It's a vintage Patria straight bar frame. It's a local brand but was discontinued way back in the 80's (not sure). When I got it yesterday, it was painted red. I'm in the process of stripping it and I'll probably leave it in all it's pitted patina glory. The parts will come mostly from my last klunker build which eventually turned into a cruiser, so I have lots of parts lying around :dance2:

The frame when I picked it up.
facebook_1920079806.jpg

I used some paint stripper and a metal scraper for the first part of the process. In these photos it still hasn't gone through the next step, which is wire brushing (attached to a drill). Next is to sand it down and use a knife to pick off the paint chips. Then brush a light coat of paint stripper and hand-wire brush it some more. Lastly, clear coat it.
IMG_20150515_125654.jpg

Here's the serial number under the BB tube. I really don't know how to identify serial numbers. Maybe you guys have an idea to the manufacture date? :)
IMG_20150515_125827.jpg

Last edited:
Side story: The moto-bike from the botched deal was my childhood dream ride and this bike has now eluded me twice!

Bike #1: The kid I saw riding it didn't want to sell :(
IMG_20140718_161026.jpg

Bike #2: Last week's failed transaction. The seller lived outside of Metro Manila, in Batangas. I sent him the transportation fare and he took off with it! :arghh:
20150408170455-olxc6e14e4157baefd7f79ced14080f5f4dd8601c88.jpg

The search continues...

Last edited:
I wish I had a good frame like yours for my klunker, but I'll make mine into a decent bike, hopefully.

I've looked through the OLX site too, but it's tough to send money to strangers. I need cash deals in a well lit area, daylight is best, with plenty of witnesses. I prefer right next to the Barangay Outpost (police substation). I hope you find a motobike somewhere.

I wish I had a good frame like yours for my klunker, but I'll make mine into a decent bike, hopefully.

I've looked through the OLX site too, but it's tough to send money to strangers. I need cash deals in a well lit area, daylight is best, with plenty of witnesses. I prefer right next to the Barangay Outpost (police substation). I hope you find a motobike somewhere.

Thanks, Wildcat. Yes that's the smartest thing to do. I think my excitement over the moto-bike clouded my judgement. That will surely be the last. If ever I spot a frame I could get it for you.

Cool build. What fork is that?

Thanks, cman! I really don't know what type of fork it is called. It's just a generic fork used for our local pedicabs. The fork that I initially was going to use had a shorter steering tube and the others I had wouldn't accommodate the width of the tire. So I just ran to our neighborhood bike shop and that was what I found. :)
29-apr-14-trycyle-pedicab-13.jpg

I need cash deals in a well lit area, daylight is best, with plenty of witnesses. I prefer right next to the Barangay Outpost (police substation). I hope you find a motobike somewhere.

I do this when I sell a car. No one ever comes to my house. We meet in high traffic area right in the PD's parking lot.

Thanks, Wildcat. Yes that's the smartest thing to do. I think my excitement over the moto-bike clouded my judgement. That will surely be the last. If ever I spot a frame I could get it for you.

I have to make a trip to Manila every 6 months to update my student visa, so if you come across a vintage frame we could meet up to make a deal.

I have to make a trip to Manila every 6 months to update my student visa, so if you come across a vintage frame we could meet up to make a deal.

Yup the treatment of the patina is finished. I scrubbed the whole frame with a wire brush to get as much rust, dirt and paint off...it left it a polished feel, then sprayed a couple of coats of clear matte and waxed and polished some more. Then next good deal I get on a vintage frame I'll definitely keep for you. I did the transaction at a Jollibee fastfood branch near our office to escape the 37°C summer temperature! I hope Subic's weather is more forgiving. :)

37C in the shade! I would like to go for a ride there in Manila, but by the time I get there after a 3 hour drive and take care of business, it's near noon and too hot. But it's never too hot for a cool drink and some great Pinoy food!

37C in the shade! I would like to go for a ride there in Manila, but by the time I get there after a 3 hour drive and take care of business, it's near noon and too hot. But it's never too hot for a cool drink and some great Pinoy food!

Hahaha yeah nothing like the summer heat as an excuse to get a couple of cold ones! You're more than welcome to come use any of my bikes when you're in Manila.

Being in my noob stage of building I just wanted to know your opinion on the use of bearings for the BB. This bike rides smoothly, but after I stop pedaling just before I go coasting there's this click in the crank area. The BB is currently setup with loose bearings which I installed (as suggested by our shop mechanic). Do you guys think I use a retainer bearing instead?

Last edited:
With the new bearings (and cups?) I would give it some time to wear in and seat the bearings. Then it'll need adjustment as there will be a little play in the cranks. If it still makes noise, it could be a crack in one of the cups. I usually hear a click when I stop pedaling on my old 1 speed, but it's from the rear hub.

Latest posts

Back