Keep being faced with the same Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good thread, some great points. I don't know if anybody has ever had that feeling when you come accross a fresh find and you just picture it with fresh paint and chrome and correst tires and so on. Sometimes I get that feeling about a potential rat, where I look at a bike and think " man, don't even touch it, make sure the tires are good and roll that beast" Then sometimes I am just lazt and don't feel like stripping a frame and polishing chrome. I would like to say I do whatever the bike tells me to do. That and my wallet!

I'm going to think for a few minutes tomorrow.... before I wire brush the paint off of the elgin I swapped Steve for today.......naw It's a repaint....Give me some red ...a little white ....and some black and I will do it justice. Ol elgin would have been proud of the paint job I will come up with....now where did I put those red tires hummm . :roll:

howdy im new to the rat rod bike scene i have a bike i bought i spray painted it flat black but the paints scrapeing off is there some protective coat you can put on it

jesusfreak86 said:
howdy im new to the rat rod bike scene i have a bike i bought i spray painted it flat black but the paints scrapeing off is there some protective coat you can put on it

did you clean/sand the frame before it was sprayed ? that needs to be done so they paint sticks to the frame better, if its got oils or grease under the paint the paint wont hold onto the bike. if its just normal scratches your worried about, try some "undercoating" its black textured and made to stnad up to chips and nicks better.

CCR said:
jesusfreak86 said:

did you clean/sand the frame before it was sprayed ? that needs to be done so they paint sticks to the frame better, if its got oils or grease under the paint the paint wont hold onto the bike. if its just normal scratches your worried about, try some "undercoating" its black textured and made to stnad up to chips and nicks better.

before you try those things, post an intro with photos!! :D

I don't know how I stumbled onto this thread. But it is pretty cool. Not what is a rat, more what should not be a rat!

Some I do some I don't. That's driven by market pressure. Rare and collectible is driven by scarcity. I am both butcher and custodian. As accidental "Wheelman" we are going to figure it out in the process of making our new "hobby" sustainable. I mean my hobby supports itself restoring the ones that the market tells me to. I live a mile from a legit "good roads" movement bridge. I know that because in the process of making these abominations I learned everything I could about them. Some they will some they won't. That is the nature of scarcity and the predicating factor for the "rare valuable".

I don't decide what to do with these things the bicycle does. Some of them want to be "new and original again. Some of them want to be "new and something else now. Either way they get to be new again.
10441066_828898393842049_4493131988695383087_n 1_zpstprzwojb.jpg11079046_921308601267694_1526033140472767736_n.jpg106180598_3335553523176511_3212764687467677360_n.jpg82223238_3335557283176135_3185427500958166531_o.jpgIMG_20200803_125628.jpgIMG_20200808_231856_194.jpg

Latest posts

Back