Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Verrt Is this going to be strictly knives?
Or is any bladed tool allowed?
No roller blades or ice skates!

Otherwise, I'd say base it on the awesomeness factor. If you're going to make a sword or a hatchet. Then yeah! We all want to see that.

If you're just going to sharpen and oil your lawnmower blade for summer, that's probably not entertaining viewing for the rest of us.

Plus, it's gotta be functional and fit for purpose at the end, no wall hangers.

No roller blades or ice skates!

Otherwise, I'd say base it on the awesomeness factor. If you're going to make a sword or a hatchet. Then yeah! We all want to see that.

If you're just going to sharpen and oil your lawnmower blade for summer, that's probably not entertaining viewing for the rest of us.

Plus, it's gotta be functional and fit for purpose at the end, no wall hangers.
I can't balance that well.

I have a drum mower, it would be plenty entertaining to see me sharpen the blades. But the language...the language.

I don't make wall hangers.

Just wanted to check, I have some ideas I've been wanting to work on. This is a good time to do it.

I can't balance that well.

I have a drum mower, it would be plenty entertaining to see me sharpen the blades. But the language...the language.

I don't make wall hangers.

Just wanted to check, I have some ideas I've been wanting to work on. This is a good time to do it.
Cool
This is going to be fun.
I still don’t know what I am going to start with, let alone what I’m trying for.

A lot of people temper with a torch.
Map gas is probably better than propane, but propane is doable.

You can also temper in the oven.

Also a lot of knives out there made from saw blades and whatnot with a grinder.

You've always been good at figuring out new things, so I have faith in your abilities.
I've edge hardened with a torch and then oven tempered back. Doable

This is a cool idea, Leon. I'm in.
I've been thinking of a forge for a while. Jumped down the YouTube rabbit hole today, I'm pretty sure I can build a forge in no time for very little money. I also looked at anvils...
Might as well go all in!

I was thinking circular saw blade imbedded in a baseball bat, but that's probably out....

Carl.

Brass or silver accents/pins to go with padauk wood?

Opinions. Discuss. Go.

NB: I'm not going to try stabilize the padauk color, so it will go from orange to dark brown over time
The brass will also darken over time, but in a contrasting shade of brown.
I think the silver would look off once the padauk darkens.

The brass will also darken over time, but in a contrasting shade of brown.
I think the silver would look off once the padauk darkens.
I'm thinking brass would look the best too, but on reflection I'd have to buy some. I'd rather not do that.

Silver/steel color I have all sorts of scraps, wire, nails, etc.

I have a decent amount of copper too in various forms. Could look interesting.
Do you think cut down copper roofing nails would be sturdy enough for pins?

I'm thinking brass would look the best too, but on reflection I'd have to buy some. I'd rather not do that.

Silver/steel color I have all sorts of scraps, wire, nails, etc.

I have a decent amount of copper too in various forms. Could look interesting.
Do you think cut down copper roofing nails would be sturdy enough for pins?
Should be fine.
I can't imagine it would be any weaker than copper tube filled with epoxy, like some mosaic pins are made.

This is copper with brass.
20210104_215004.jpg

Latest posts

Back