Kristmas Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 108262

I've ordered green pedals and a red chain. They should be in a week from now. Just installed two sets of grips and a period correct style headlight. I'm liking the way it's shaping up.
View attachment 108263
View attachment 108264
I'll be spraying the black banana seat red and adding a chrome chain guard soon. This is FUN!!!!
Front forks are amazing. Great detail and crisp lines everywhere!

One question: I’ve seen your tires in the bold colors all over the inter web. I love them.....BUT, have you logged any miles on those tires or maybe another pair in a different color on a different bike?

I think those tires look super cool, but they also have a made in China vibe (price) which I’m not sure what to think.

My answer: EVERYTHING is made in China! I'm rolling on Chinese slicks on the RockRat, Chinese cruisers on Duck Norris, and although I can't confirm or deny, I'm assuming that whatever is on the Diamondback is Chinese too.
To add to the question, does anyone have experience on non Chinese tires?

My answer: EVERYTHING is made in China! I'm rolling on Chinese slicks on the RockRat, Chinese cruisers on Duck Norris, and although I can't confirm or deny, I'm assuming that whatever is on the Diamondback is Chinese too.
To add to the question, does anyone have experience on non Chinese tires?
So, I have logged thousands (upon thousands) of miles on Bontager, Maxxis and Continental tires. Road, trail, paved path, urban..... you name it. In my opinion they are great, but don’t offer the bold colors and unique tire shape, tread and sizes some builds need.

As these companies all have manufacturing facilities in China, they also have multiple other plants elsewhere in the world. Many of the plants build only certain tires, so it’s hard to tell which tire came from which country.

In agreement with your everything comes from China, quality can definitely be managed in China, it’s a matter of the company, their people and processes.

I’ve bought Chinese tools (or other stuff) that have failed upon first use, and I’ve had other Chinese made products that have lasted for years.

The bright colored cruiser tires have really caught my eye as they look cool and are super cheap. I DO ride all my bikes however and don’t want to be fussing around with tires on a ride or before or after a ride.

Finally, not to make a post too long, skewing the performance of my Bontager and Maxxis tires, I do utilize a tire liner and self sealing tubes on my daily grinders. My last set of Bontagers I could actually see my liner through holes in the tire and I swear each tire had 5-10 holes in it!

That combination has taken me from 1-2 flats every month or so to 1-2 flats every few years. As most of my builds use the self sealing tubes, due to cost I don’t put the armadillo liners in them.

So, in closing, I, like most Americans, want rock bottom Chinese pricing, but made in America “lifetime” quality. That’s all!!! :inlove:

Back to the beginning, I’m cautious of low priced products from China, but not necessarily all products from China and these tires are definitely priced below other tires.

Last edited:
5A12E9B4-A405-4E33-B620-C522A8726810.jpeg
My current Maxxis rear tire. :21:

Need to swap that out today...

Let's just say that I trust Chinese rubber more than Chinese steel, but Duck Norris is Chinese, and I take him trail riding! I assume that will end badly someday, but then I get a frame upgrade!

My green pedals and red chain were delivered, so I threw them on, along with two green reflectors on the rear dropouts. The red chain was too short, so I added gold links (I'm fresh out of frankincense and myrrh.) Not crazy about the green pedals, so I'm rethinking that. I've been saving a nice chrome chain guard for the right bike and I do like it on this one. In a nod to my fellow ratters, I left the mounting brackets rusty. My banana seat isn't ready, so I put a red road bike saddle on it for a test ride. It does ride nicely.
20191101_145553.jpg

20191101_145608.jpg

View attachment 108440
20191101_145601.jpg

20191102_085704.jpg

Last edited:
I have a new pair of "krate" style pedals, but they are black and chrome. I'll probably try them some time this week, and I'm still thinking on the banana seat.

I'm with you on the pedals. Red chain looks great. Maybe just chrome pedals? So, one question. You have the 'ape hanger bars' covered. The tires look like they are the same size. So, I was assuming a 'naner seat to meet the requirements?

I have a new pair of "krate" style pedals, but they are black and chrome. I'll probably try them some time this week, and I'm still thinking on the banana seat.
We just posted comments simultaneoulsy! Like minds....

Liking the pedals and the ratty brackets. I left my fender braces and seat clamp, seat post, etc in their original 'ratty' condition on RaTsberry as well.

Gotta have a little RaT-isfaction on every build!

So, I had no idea you were producing motorized bikes like you do. Got any photos to share of some of your builds?

"Inquiring minds want to know..." :hi:

Ratters and internal combustion engines go together like coffee and donuts (not wine and brie, those folks ride e-bikes.)
I have a couple of pics posted in the "Gas Powered Bikes" section of this forum, but I'll gladly add more some time this week.
I always have a couple of gas bikes on hand in case a friend wants to ride with me; including Minnesotans who winter in the Great Sonoran Desert. The invitation is open, Lee.

Latest posts

Back