Late 90's K2 Maintime build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long time hot rod friend had this frame laying around behind his shop which he gave to me. I'm not sure as to what exactly it is, but I'm guessing its a '97-99 race bmx.

It had been sitting outdoors for over two decades, and it was a pain to pull apart... felt like everything was held in place with liquid cement lol.

after a bit of bashing, I saved the old profile racing crankset, which was rad:

Then I went to taking the rest of the frame of its components. Shaved the cable stays and rear brake mounts.

I saved the Robinson chrome front fork, original handle bars and stem which I will probably use:

I purchased some tri-mag's for it that I think will go with the build quite nicely:

And some tube pads that are not period correct, but will go with the finished theme:

'camo' is my favorite!!

I'm still after a cool seat post and clamp. I have an old school SE lightning bolt saddle that I'll probly throw on it.

I think I have a headset for it in my parts cache, not sure yet.

Working on stripping the frame down to bare aluminum tonight. Running color options through my head. Really liking this rootbeer-ish color:

I also think a green would look good:

or:

I think with the camo tube pads I'll probably end up with black components. I love silver and chrome, but I think it would clash with the color scheme. Any thoughts on color choice?

I'm not sure if the guy who does my plating is able to anodize in that rootbeer color... but I'm hoping so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back