Layback Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this columbia double eagle tandam up at a swapmeet recently for 60$
Since I dont own a stretch bike I decided to do some mild tweeking to turn this into a stretch or possibly a ratty recumbant
image_zpsp1wmnxj8.jpg

image_zpso7ssacxv.jpg

(If it's anything like my "stretch tandem" build, "some mild tweeking" is likely to turn into "even more tweeking" as you go along, but isn't that half the fun of these projects?!)
Raoul Dude,

As you can see one of the reasons for wanting to use this frame is that it takes very little tweeking to turn it from a tandem to a stretch/recumbant
just remove a few inches from the middle seat post
i am not sure yet if i will keep the rear as is or cut down to the middle wheel bar

I almost cut up my Columbia. Glad I switched to my Huffy. Tons of potential there, been said but it's true. I'll be watching this one too. One of the closest bikes here to the build I'm doing.

Carl.

I almost cut up my Columbia. Glad I switched to my Huffy. Tons of potential there, been said but it's true. I'll be watching this one too. One of the closest bikes here to the build I'm doing.

Carl.
ALiEN FiRE Little Neutrino Rockin' Rollfast My Gallery & My Album
GuitarlCarl

Yes I saw your different plans for harlequin burrito in the days before the buildoff
I actualy tried getting the style of frame you are currently working with
but the columbia tandem was cheap and pletiful out here in socal
plus once "modified" I think it looks a bit like an early HB cruiser stretch
cant wait to see how your build compares to mine in the end

As you can see one of the reasons for wanting to use this frame is that it takes very little tweeking to turn it from a tandem to a stretch/recumbant
just remove a few inches from the middle seat post
i am not sure yet if i will keep the rear as is or cut down to the middle wheel bar

Mine took so little tweaking that I can turn it back into a tandem -- no frame modifications required! (I wasn't sure that I was going to LIKE a stretch cruiser as much as I do, so I tried not to make any permanent modifications.)

But my point wasn't so much about the frame, as all of the other creative things that you might wind up doing with the handlebars, the seat, and so on! :bigsmile:

Yes I saw your different plans for harlequin burrito in the days before the buildoff
I actualy tried getting the style of frame you are currently working with
but the columbia tandem was cheap and pletiful out here in socal
plus once "modified" I think it looks a bit like an early HB cruiser stretch
cant wait to see how your build compares to mine in the end
I've been second guessing myself and almost wishing I had went with the Columbia. The Huffy is a smaller frame and space is at a premium for a stretcher...

ⒸⒶⓇⓁ.

Latest posts

Back