BO15 Let the wrenching begin...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200528_185121.jpg

At this point I am going to go mount the tires. I'm still waiting on my headset and my Forks they were supposed to be here yesterday. In the meantime might I suggest a nice IPA from Kona brewers
20200528_185459.jpg
. They're not my sponsors LOL it is just a delicious beer. If This Were a motorized vehicle I would not advise building it while drinking beer regardless of how delicious it is. But since is not motorized I say go for it.

I'm sure most if not all of you have seen this before, but for those of you that haven't there is no need to bang on your frame when you are trying to install a set of bearings. This is a conversion kit for an American bottom bracket to go from a one piece to a three-piece sealed bearing. I will show you how to press these in very easily as opposed to hammering them in.View attachment 122953

Gotta admire those who make/modify their own tools. The rubber padding is a nice touch--I'll remember that. I've seen this conversion done frequently with a square taper BB, but this the first instance of Ashtabula-to-Hollowtech crank. What's your source on those press-in bearing cups?

I will check and let you know. As far as the big rubber washer, it was at Lowes. "Hard to find" hardware drawer.

I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret I just discovered today. See the pic. This stuff is a moisture sealing electrical tape...adhesive on one side. Rubber. I used it for a rim strip. One box covered exactly two 26" rims. This may just be a really good alternative to overpriced rim strips. 9 bux and it covered 2 26 inch wheels. I'll let you know how it hol
20200528_193733.jpg
ds up

What's the rear tire make / model you are sporting there? I like the candy and gold and gloss black color combo!
RaT oN~!

I believe the bottom bracket was from Amazon and is a low rider bikes brand sealed bearing conversion kit. It was about $25

Love the paint and components.

Photo tip. Those lights behind the bike are killing you pics and making your camera think there is more light than there is. It causing it to overcompensate and leaving your bike in the dark for most of your pics. Let there be less light or tap the light setting on your camera as you take each pic.

Got the front end on tonite...but I need a dirt skirt for the forks and a spacer for the headset. Waiting on just 2 things to finish...seatpost and quill stem adapter...and of course, my cruiser koozie for my Kona beers. I know..the yellow blanket messes up the pics, but I didn't want to damage my chair and I haven't re-installed my kickstand yet...
20200602_014748.jpg
20200602_023126.jpg

Yellow blanket actually shows off the color better in that one. The bike looks great and I bet it will be a solid rider! Remember to shoot a ride video, so we can see your rolling art in action!

So just a little sort of "shout-out" to a place called Bike Bling. I believe they're in San Diego. They sent me a black Brooks saddle instead of a brown one by mistake. I let them know and suggested that rather than go through the hassle of shipping, re-shipping and waiting, etc...I asked them if they could discount the seat because of the mix up, I could live with the black one...they took another $25 off. I ultimately got a $200 saddle for $105. Easy to work with, good prices on stuff, nice people.
20200602_171001.jpg

Sweet deal, saves you from more waiting, saves you a few bucks, saves some poor sucker having to carry it back and forth. Win, win, win!

well, you can't go wrong with a brooks saddle, but I bought grips that specifically matched the brown one...and when it gets old and worn in it looks like an old baseball glove...sooo cool. I will probably end up getting a brown one for Kamehameha and putting the black one on my black strandie.

Latest posts

Back