LETS SEE HAWTHORNE BICYCLES !!!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1936 Mead-Hawthorne Duralium...
Hawthorne_9.jpg

Hawthorne_20.jpg

I shaved and converted a old microphone into a LED multi-function tail light....
Hawthorne_37.jpg

DSC03790.jpg

DSC03791.jpg

...and a 30's fog light into an LED headlight and notice the cool 1930's hood ornament...
Hawthorne_30.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

Just showed the woman this bike. She makes fun of me with all this old stuff, but even she said "Dayum."

I can't believe you sold it.

What's so great about this bike is that it allows you to share your passion with people who could care less, because even someone out of the loop can understand this is a special bike with alot of care and attention pressed into one package.

It's shiny so it grabs them and it's detailed so it holds them.

I don't agree with the exact mounting of the microphone, but it's one fine build.

Lonewolf said:
Just showed the woman this bike. She makes fun of me with all this old stuff, but even she said "Dayum."

I can't believe you sold it.

What's so great about this bike is that it allows you to share your passion with people who could care less, because even someone out of the loop can understand this is a special bike with alot of care and attention pressed into one package.

It's shiny so it grabs them and it's detailed so it holds them.

I don't agree with the exact mounting of the microphone, but it's one fine build.

Thank you! I can't believe I sold it either but it went to someone who seems to truly appreciate it and I got enough to build my next "dream" bike which otherwise wouldn't happen, so, down the road it goes. The tail light mounting was just a way to get it on the bike because I was excited to finish the light and wanted to try it out. I was in the process of building a mount for it as well as chroming a old killer looking Rollfast skip-tooth chainring with a skip-tooth conversion and a couple other small details when it got snatched up. Thanks for the compliments :mrgreen:

IMG_1336.jpg

hawthorne5.jpg

hawthorne1.jpg

saved these from two different dumpsters around town.. within two months of each other.. I believe they are both 60's models, the taller bike looks like a 68', and the other a 61' if I had to guess

love the pics in this thread... made me join :)

my $3 scrapyard score, don't forget to keep your eyes open when at the junk piles too, never know what you'll find, I found this hawthorne, a 1954 Schwinn Wasp, and a 1958 Schwinn American all in one bin under an old washing machine. Just thought to myself the washing machine is old what other old goodies did they bring in? Sure enough I struck gold. Rusty gold that is.....

bike4.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

Here's the other two

PA270191.jpg

Great pics...
question can any body help date this 1 or point me some direction
only missing tank,fork,book rack from pictured bike..
Thanks in advance

3n13kb3pa5Z45W05R3abocd1325cbc6d014c1.jpg

2010-11-27155504_SanAntonio_Texas_US.jpg

Here's a few pics of a 1936 Hawthorne I just finished. Pretty sure its a Hawthorne, might have originally been a Rollfast but I dont believe so because of the original paint scheme, and the shadow left behind on the headtube from the original headbadge. I think Phil nailed down the 1936 date due to the collet seatpost.

I re-furbished this one for a Christmas present for my Dad, I know he will love it! I know a bunch of parts are not correct, but thats ok with me. And I know my Dad wont care either.

Before...
001.jpg

After...
030.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

That one nice bike, and I saw the other thread that had your moms bike on it, nice set of bikes.

Ratfink1962 said:
Here's a few pics of a 1936 Hawthorne I just finished. Pretty sure its a Hawthorne, might have originally been a Rollfast but I dont believe so because of the original paint scheme, and the shadow left behind on the headtube from the original headbadge. I think Phil nailed down the 1936 date due to the collet seatpost.

I re-furbished this one for a Christmas present for my Dad, I know he will love it! I know a bunch of parts are not correct, but thats ok with me. And I know my Dad wont care either.

Before...
001.jpg

After...
030.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg
very nice work!

Hi, I have just imported these 2 bikes from the USA to Australia.

I know the cruiser is a Hawthorne but not sure on the other??

Any info on either would be greatly appreciated.

Have big ideas for the Hawthorne. The other will get some fresh paint and then be going on EBAY over here.
http://flic.kr/p/91dTNm
http://flic.kr/p/91dRrf

I can't figure out how to post the pics. Done what the sticky said with no luck :-(

Latest posts

Back