Lets see your winter bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think the snow is here to stay. I got the winter beater bike out Halloween. I plan to go skiing tomorrow. Plenty of snow here and if it keeps it up a warm snap won't melt it all. The long range forecast is for snow day and night through Thursday, then it is supposed to be below freezing through Saturday. Thats as far ahead as the weather man is willing to stick his neck out. I hate it when the snow comes and goes as you can't decide what bike to ride. I had switched full time to the "Silver Maggot" winter cruiser by last Thanksgiving and it will be around then this year that I will have it ready with new carbide studded Ice tires. I plan to rent a fat bike once a month to go trail riding on the snowshoe trails.

The "Silver Maggot" waiting on winterizing. Ridable as is, but better with ice tires.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see if anyone else here has a winter build (I know Bicycle808 has a Worksman he rides in the winter).

Mine should hopefully be done soon (winter is coming whether my bike is ready or not - snow on Monday here). The main hold-up for me has been waiting on parts to arrive ... I've been waiting almost a month now for my stem because the seller keeps sending it to the wrong address :\. I can't do much riding if I can't steer my bike.

I really can't say I'm as excited for winter biking this year. I think that may be because last year was my first year, and it was cool to prove to myself that I can do it, but now I'd just prefer it remain 60 degrees out :D.

That said, I'm sure I'll get more into the spirit as the season begins. Seeing your pictures is already motivating me. I think I'm also just a little worried about the city I'm now living in ... the drivers here are insane in good weather; I'm terrified to think of what they'll be like in the snow/ice.

I think the snow is here to stay. I got the winter beater bike out Halloween. I plan to go skiing tomorrow. Plenty of snow here and if it keeps it up a warm snap won't melt it all. The long range forecast is for snow day and night through Thursday, then it is supposed to be below freezing through Saturday. Thats as far ahead as the weather man is willing to stick his neck out. I hate it when the snow comes and goes as you can't decide what bike to ride. I had switched full time to the "Silver Maggot" winter cruiser by last Thanksgiving and it will be around then this year that I will have it ready with new carbide studded Ice tires. I plan to rent a fat bike once a month to go trail riding on the snowshoe trails.

The "Silver Maggot" waiting on winterizing. Ridable as is, but better with ice tires.
Im downtown Detroit, just a few flakes so far here. Im feeling your pain though!

I love a good snow bike!

I rode this Schwinn for 4 or 5 winters here in Chicago. Run a homemade studded front tire and a fat 24x3 Thick slick in the back.

Love this bike!
4 speed Nexus hub with roller brakes front and rear. Great in the snow and cold.

Really like the look of the full fender in back but not much clearance around fat tire. Does get packed with snow and slush. and will get very heavy!

Last winter I rode this Monark with a set of studded tires and a ton of fender clearance.......... worked perfect for all the heavy snow we had for winter 2013-14

I'm going to ride the Monark again this winter. I might put a 3 speed hub on it.

We have salt to be sure. Just about every used bike I get has a stuck seat post and quill stem, lol. But at least the weather is perfect all year. :)

Oh man that's some snow!!!
Good luck with the snowblower.

If you look at the pic of the tubes the top tube is a standerd 26"
The Kenda tube is a 26" thron resistant super thick weighs as much as the tire.
I do line the tire with a plastic tire liner. Works great screws wear evenly. Makes wheel very heavy can take a lot of force to turn at speed.

Sorry to hear that it is bad up there. Just about every other weekend we have some deer getting wacked by a car. There seems like and endless supply of them down here. Was out for early ride in the early part of Oct. and nearly got ran over by a deer. Year or so ago we had a farm kid get his very first deer with a bow had his picture in the local paper. We had people protesting the murder of the deer. I wrote op ed on the good things about hunting (I'm not much of an hunter) ended up with some fruit case calling me up telling me that I need to pray for the deer, I usally do when it's on my dinner plate. Then was told where to go. Down here people just drive me up the wall. Can't do this can't do that...

When I was a kid in the 80s my predator was my only bike. So it was my winter, summer, everything bike. We lived in a small mountain town. I remember I had the mags filled in as a packed snow disc more than once. Never tried the studs. Those could have prevented those sudden lateral drops on the ice. Had a friend who took his mag scrambler each year and put a front ski on it for winter once the roads iced over in november they weren't pavement again till march.

Where I live now, I don't have to worry about much snow.

I usually ride my Xtracycle. I have a Schwalbe Big Ben on the rear and a Continental studded on the front. The longer wheelbase makes the slips and slides predicatable.

IMG_20141114_081327_zpscc1fb8ae.jpg

When I was a kid in the 80s my predator was my only bike. So it was my winter, summer, everything bike. We lived in a small mountain town. I remember I had the mags filled in as a packed snow disc more than once. Never tried the studs. Those could have prevented those sudden lateral drops on the ice. Had a friend who took his mag scrambler each year and put a front ski on it for winter once the roads iced over in november they weren't pavement again till march.

Where I live now, I don't have to worry about much snow.

:D I love this idea!

I usually ride my Xtracycle. I have a Schwalbe Big Ben on the rear and a Continental studded on the front. The longer wheelbase makes the slips and slides predicatable.

IMG_20141114_081327_zpscc1fb8ae.jpg

That's a good point about the longer wheelbase. I was mentioning to Bicycle808 a while back that the Heavy-Duti has a longer wheelbase than anything I'm used to (old lightweights and middleweights, basically). It's nothing as drastic as the wheelbase on your bike, but still, I think it'll help.

Latest posts

Back