LITTLE TOAD! RRBBO#14 Class 2. I'm out. :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool.:cool2:
Another tip or warning is to do the acid bath outside and avoid breathing the fumes that come from the bubbles! Of course chemical gloves, eye protection etc. is always recommended.

Cool, HCL works quicly . I've used White vinegar before on the ends of galvanized tube before welding . it takes a few hours.

I've used vinegar quite a bit as well. Works far better warm/hot

Cool.:cool2:
Another tip or warning is to do the acid bath outside and avoid breathing the fumes that come from the bubbles! Of course chemical gloves, eye protection etc. is always recommended.
Oh yeah! Outside and protected for sure!

Cool, HCL works quicly . I've used White vinegar before on the ends of galvanized tube before welding . it takes a few hours.
I've used vinegar quite a bit as well. Works far better warm/hot
Good to know!
Luke, you had me at 'flash rust'. :bigsmile:
Good way to get it started if you want a rusty build for sure!

Thanks for pushing me on to page two of the thread everyone, the encouragement helps! :thumbsup:

Wasn't planning on doing much today, still recovering from the big weekend, but then the internet dropped out and I got bored... Thankfully it is back up now so I can share some progress!

Welded the washers and the piece of 3" exhaust tube together:

IMG_20190509_142907558.jpg

Welded and cleaned the ring of square tube:

IMG_20190509_142943136.jpg

Join the dots:

IMG_20190509_145138403.jpg

Started on the rim, tacked it all together, the gas/propane tank section worked wonderfully! Rim came out as a 15x10". (11" overall lip to lip.)

IMG_20190509_152158724.jpg

IMG_20190509_152210942.jpg

Welded the outside with the MIG, didn't want to mess with galvanizing and TIG welding:

IMG_20190509_153235853.jpg

Sanded the welds down:

IMG_20190509_160946805.jpg

TIG welded the inside:

IMG_20190509_165737754.jpg

Test fit the center:

IMG_20190509_170151286.jpg
IMG_20190509_170207416.jpg

Pretty close to my wheel inspiration, I could have made it even closer, but I like the way it is, I may weld in the little triangles near the center, not sure yet:

magnum-2-0-1-pc-fronts-5a9.jpg

Deep dish:

IMG_20190509_170538004.jpg

Ready for welding once I make a hub:

IMG_20190509_170524199.jpg

And that is as far as the build has gone so far, 3 wheels and two front hubs:

IMG_20190509_170711564.jpg

Wow...what an honor!....That back wheel is COOL!
:thumbsup:
That wheel looks great!
Can you make me some for my bike..... View attachment 94862
I know you have the talent to make some!
Big fat custom wheel! High cool factor
Wow great work as always. Wheel looks fantastic. :thumbsup:
Thanks Guys, you know I love my fat wheels!
:21: :thumbsup:

Just realised I wanted to paint the front rims before lacing them up, never mind, I can paint the whole wheel together I guess, just pop the bearings back out, give them a good clean and spray away when the time comes...

Pretty close to my wheel inspiration, I could have made it even closer, but I like the way it is, I may weld in the little triangles near the center, not sure yet

Please do! I think I'm in love with that wheel. That's some B/^#$£$¥N fabricating skills you have there!

Last edited:
@LukeTheJoker this is gonna be bananas bro...can't wait to see it develop!
Thanks Man! :thumbsup:
Please do! I think I'm in love with that wheel. That's some B/^#$£$¥N fabricating skills you have there!
:21: Careful of the forum language filter and rules there!
I have come up with a plan regarding those little triangles that I think you might like... ;)
Luke,

What Welder are you using. Any photos of the setup.
I will get some photos, maybe even a shop tour?
I know the MIG is a BOC 180P, I think the TIG is a Weldsmart 200 inverter, but an older one when they were still big heavy brutes.

Shop tour! Shop tour!

SHOP TOUR! SHOP TOUR!
Thanks Man! :thumbsup:

:21: Careful of the forum language filter and rules there!
I have come up with a plan regarding those little triangles that I think you might like... ;)

Erm... sorry... I just got excited...:blush: can't wait to see the progress!

Latest posts

Back