Low Flyer...."Building a Better X53"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in.

* Name Change! In consideration of all the real stretch bikes being built, I'll be calling this Low Flyer.
The stretching of this frame is minimal. It is lowered quite a bit though!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to save this project till the next BO, but I picked up a couple of tubes for $10 yesterday and decided its time to tackle my first frame build.
Not ready to reveal the whole plan ;)

Looking for some ideas on frames...I want to stretch it out a little, lowered but not totally slammed, rake out the front end but keep it looking and riding fairly compact.

I'd totally appreciate any examples anyone would like to post here, and any advice on geometry once I get started!
:)

If I really wanted to be comfortable, I'd scratch out the key dimensions of my favorite ride on some graph paper and go from there. Seems to me if ya got seat and pedals in the correct place, then you have some leeway on the bars. But I've never built one from scratch ether. So what would I know? o_O

Guitarl.

If I really wanted to be comfortable, I'd scratch out the key dimensions of my favorite ride on some graph paper and go from there. Seems to me if ya got seat and pedals in the correct place, then you have some leeway on the bars. But I've never built one from scratch ether. So what would I know? o_O

Guitarl.
That's kind of what I wound up doing.
Took my favorite rider and marked the main points on my building board, then took my Rusty Chopper Schwinn and did the same, then stretched a couple points out a little further...Hope it works ;)

Loving this build so far!
Just remember to keep an eye on chainlines, it tends to be an issue with the first few frames you modify or stretch... ;)

Yes indeed...
I needed to put a little more curve on the chain stays. The chain just barely gets by, but I'd like to put a smaller chainring on the crank, at which point I will no longer clear...Or I could put a bigger cog in back?
I want a low cruiser gearing.
This bike will be for going slow and low:)

IMG_20170129_154623.jpg

Here are a few comparisons between the frames...
The BB is of course dropped, and the rake is more pronounced standing up.
The fork I put together will enhance the rake even more.
Still not a stretch bike by any means but should be low and a bit tough looking...;)

So why in the world would I be claiming to be building a "better X53" ?
They are already a seriously iconic bike, with maybe impossible to improve lines and style. Further more, this one will be a rust bucket for the most part, eliminating that awesome X53 translucent color...What's better???
Simple, the X53 is a flimsy bike.
Cool looking for sure, but not your go to rider. Especially if you drop some serious coin to acquire a primo one, your not going to get much enjoyment out of bombing around the rougher parts of the hood...
But, build a beefed up frame,
Upgrade the fork somehow...(?) And you might just be able to change all that !!
At least I'm hoping so...;)

14858920669661881113901.jpg
14858921736721863737978.jpg
14858923110101947924258.jpg

Latest posts

Back