Low Flyer...."Building a Better X53"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thing about using the Schwinn triangle, the guard mounts are already done :)

Although the rear is tricky to get at with the wheel on...
14889218354631977093894.jpg
14889219315341897371790.jpg

While I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the seat post, check out the fender....
Wound up needing to use a middleweight fender to fit into a couple tight spots.
It was a happy unplanned happening.
The fenders I thought I'd use were extra fat and just wouldn't do. They'll be perfect for another build one of these days.

14891015253121116695776.jpg

1489101467600-1765958449.jpg

14891017530441188170972.jpg

Thinking I'll try and do it ransom note style like the pic, but do red lettering on silver squares.
The X would be black on a red circle.
Any input on ways you guys would go about it?

Like the lettering idea, as long as the p and e don't blend into the circle you should be fine.

Nice work! The whitewalls have a very 'classic' look to them, if that's what you are going for. Somehow the rest of the bike screams all black, or solid color....maybe gray? IDK, just spitballing here.

I know what you mean...I tend toward old faded paint and rust on my builds typically.
But one of the great charms of the X53's was the poppin colors they used.
I'm styling after the first year Red and Black, which is a cool looking bike but nothing like the Gold and dark cherry colors of later years.

It's still one area I need to sort out with this bike. I like the color scheme, but my intention is to have the expanded metal areas appear rustier. I'll probably accelerate that (starting very soon...) and also having a bit more of an aged look too the paint overall.
If I can pull those two things off in a couple of weeks it'll be right where I want it color wise...

Like the lettering idea, as long as the p and e don't blend into the circle you should be fine.

Ditto. I think I have a plan for that. I'm going to swing by my buddies sign shop later and see what he thinks...

Oh yeah, OddJob...The white walls look right to me too.
They're the repop Royal Chains, so it's a great riding tire also.
The skinny fender limited my tire options. I had been changing tires around on this bike left and right, so it was nice to have the decision made for me ;)

These were on my X53, but the Silvertown clays look rad on the old X. Side by side pics of the two bikes are due!

Latest posts

Back