RRBBO13 Lucky 13 - She's Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has done a bare steel Monark and he sprayed automotive clear on thick and little brother, let me tell ya in person it is sick. My next bare metal bomb is gettin' a thick coat of shine on it...

Carl.

I don't think I have seen one of these done bare steel, so I would vote for bare. Would you go all bare, or use the fenders and other parts to bring color in?
Looking sharp!

Ya I'd leave the original green paint on the fenders, and the cream Lighting Darts would bring a good amount of color to the build I think.

Go for it man.

A friend of mine has done a bare steel Monark and he sprayed automotive clear on thick and little brother, let me tell ya in person it is sick. My next bare metal bomb is gettin' a thick coat of shine on it...

Carl.

I've seen the thick clear coat spray jobs before, they look good. I just don't like how clear coat chips over time, I know it's boring :rolleyes: but if I leave it bare steel I'll most likely rub boiled linseed oil into the metal.

Ya I'd leave the original green paint on the fenders, and the cream Lighting Darts would bring a good amount of color to the build I think.
I like the cream darts idea. I do have a set of bare stainless steel fenders in the BACK40 that I don't have plans for currently. I'd love to see them on your build. Send me a conversation if you are interested.

Looking good so far!

I’ve also seen people polish steel to the point that it almost looks like chrome or polished aluminum. It would almost look like a
SK frame that’s never been seen before. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This a bare steel polished frame & the fork is chrome
6e2239b516ce69d984a8ca5b0eb1bb97.jpg

This a bare steel polished frame & the fork is chrome
6e2239b516ce69d984a8ca5b0eb1bb97.jpg

That's a super cool look, but I'll be honest the twin bar frame does not lend itself well to polishing. It has so many unaccessible little cracks and crevices everywhere. I'll try my best but I doubt it's going to be a mirror finish.

Just ordered some oxalic acid, for the fender & rim clean up and all the little parts.
71oAi3ZEwzL._SL1200_.jpg

One of the cool things about these is how seamless they look with the overfender and the stamped headtube. Without paint you kinda lose that (but gain the cool seams!?).

One of the cool things about these is how seamless they look with the overfender and the stamped headtube. Without paint you kinda lose that (but gain the cool seams!?).

All the brazing is super cool thats for sure :thumbsup:.

I'd be tempted to clearcoat the bare frame and hang it on my living room wall. But then again, I have a wife.

I don't know you might be able to spin it as a piece of modern art :D.
That reminds me I should post pics of my room, it's full of stuff only single life would allow. My dresser is a 1950s Westinghouse Fridge :grin:.
IMG_20180507_214407_439.jpg

1939_Sears_catalogue_1.jpg
b1e4772947fde5914d06586e3c48b4b7.jpg

T.JPG

Was lookin for inspiration/was bored of waiting for the acid I ordered, and found it with these awesome ads. And this super sweet build from over on the Cabe.

Here are a few more cool Twin ads for you.

1938-SEARS-ROEBUCK-FALL-CATALOGUE_1.jpg
1938-SEARS-ROEBUCK-FALL-CATALOGUE_2.jpg
1939_Sears_catalogue_2.jpg

IMG_0531.JPG

Well here we go, my first OA bath hope there's no hiccups.

Latest posts

Back