Marji Geisc

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I posted a joke complaint on Facebook regarding that the Marji masters class is 50+, unfair to geriatric riders. All 666 spots were full in 40 minutes after the midnight entry opening on October 13 for the September 2019 event. I didn't attempt to enter. I knew better, at 73 the most difficult single day bike event in the USA is too much. I said on Facebook that they needed a 70 to 120 year old class for the 50 miler and it should start with the runners the day before the main bike race, ha, ha. That way the old timers could finish in two days before the cut of, ha ha. Well the organizers saw this and said you want to talk or ride? It's full, was my response, no room for more riders, good I thought, that ends that. They found 3 - 4 others in their 70s and made a special class that will start the day before. That 70+ class is now closed, full. Crap, I'm in, called my bluff with tons of peer pressure. When will people start to not take me seriously? The theme for this race is a bunch of bad ideas anyway. 111 miles and 58 miles, 13,000 feet of climb, bike it or run it, your choice. There are a few other special categories this year called bad idea class where you get to ride 60 miles and run 51 and the very bad idea class where you ride 111 miles starting at the finish to the start and must arrive at the start in time for the Le Mons half mile running start for the regular 100 mile but you have to run the Le Mons start backwards, then ride another 100 miles with the regular 100 mile field. You still have to finish in the cutoff time for the regular 100. At the end if you finish the 200 you have to pay a $1.00 dumb tax. It's a point to point race with no official aid stations. The other bad idea class is a 15 mile commemorative ride that traces the route of a bunch of riders that got lost and went on trails worse than the official ones. They must not have the had the required GPS with the course downloaded. It goes through deep woods and wilderness, but passes through Marquette, Mi. and ends in Ishpeming. The Le Mons start, a half mile run in cleats, including a narrow wooden bridge half way through. This keeps you running hard so you don't get stuck in traffic. The run is to your bike, in the dark. The runners have a reverse Le Mons start. That's right, they have to race bikes to the running start, Le Bike start and they have to bring their own bike. No pickup if you decide to quit, your on your own. Call 911 if you need to but cell phone reception is in and out, good only in town. The organizers are sick. I may have to ride one of my clunkers because a mechanical break down is more acceptable for a DNF than wimping out part way through. This race has a 62% (or higher) dropout rate for the 100 mile and 40% for the 50 mile. Only 2 - 3 % finish in under 12 hours and get a buckle. There is a cash prize, winner gets a dollar, brought by an armored car. Seriously, pray for us old timers. The course can be dangerous, especially in the dark when you get too tired to think straight and too wobbly to make the tight narrow corners with drop offs into mine pits and tailing slopes. I'm so looking forward to riding up Suicide Hill, an Olympic sized ski jump. Rain during or anywhere near the race date makes sections slick and unridable for all but the best. Everyone hikes a bike some, at least has to haul their bike up a rock face almost cliff in cleats, which is near the end when you begin to wonder if you got lost because it's so ridiculous. People typically complain but come back again and again. One of my riding buddie's son finally finished the 100 this year, "third try was a charm". Holy Wah!

Last edited:
:13::13::13: Sounds like a bad dream, a really bad dream...good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jason
It's bad. People don't think it's that bad till they try. A gal l ride with who is in her late 30s didn't finish the 50 bike race two years ago. She said it was the hardest thing she ever did. She bought a house on the course and rides it a lot. This September she ran the 50 and finished, but walked the last 10 miles. She won't bike it again. I know right now that I can't ride 58 miles of easy dirt, let alone this. The other 70 yo guys are pumped up and bragging that they are trying but I really wonder if any of us will finish. One of the race directors said he will ride it with us because he is as slow as us. That would be worse, two years ago he was a pro. He is 6'3", young and a mass of muscle and grisle. We are all flab. Another bad idea.

At the end of August I participated in a 22mile, mostly downhill, mountain bike ride (not race) on a single speed rigid bike. I finished (40% dropped out)...barely, but its been a month and a half later and still have a slightly swollen lower right leg and a sprained left thumb :doh:. I read your exploits in awe, and hope to match you one day (even if you are twenty-some years senior to me) :thumbsup:.

Keep it up!
Jason

I can't find any training plans for a 70 year old plus bike rider. The other 70 year old guys who have ridden the 50 mile Marji course in sections say there is a lot of hike a bike for us old timers. I will do stretching, core strengthening, walking, mountain biking, and gradually increase my distance using road bikes. This winter I will use my stationary road bike trainer, my snow bike and my ice bike. All exercise plans for geriatric people that I can find are of the chair and walker variety. There is a cycling specific training book for older people but that is for 50 year olds. I don't want to injure myself by over training so I'm not sure what to do. I am taking it easy. Anyone know of plans that I could use? I will be surprised if any of us 70 year olds finish. Some of us will probably be injured before the start as one of us always seems to be down with orthopedic issues, heart problems, blood clots or eye surgery. All things for you younger riders to look forward to, not to mention the flab, wrinkles and weird skin.

:13: I hope it goes well!
I'm really not looking forward to it. I got roped into it. The other 70 yo guys won't listen to reason and want to do it, seem to think it will be doable. All I have been told is that there is an unbelievable amount of hike a bike for theses that aren't elite riders. I'm thinking 15 hours for me to do it, but that may not be possible.

Latest posts

Back